How much wind?

JosefR

How much wind is needed to move a sunfish along just enough to keep you from going to sleep? I live in Louisiana and now that the water is warm enough to sail, the wind never blows. For instance, the high for today will be 6 miles an hour. When I had my 30 foot Catalina, I needed at least 10 miles an hour before I could even think about going out. Is there any point at 3 to 6 miles an hour?

Probably depends on your size and your objective. Some sailors don't mind the slow wind drifting and use it to work on improving their light wind sailing tactics.

I'm personally not a racer, and am a bigger guy (245 lbs), so find those light wind days a tad dreadful. I'd rather a stiff breeze to push the boat and get it up on a plane.

I'm not sure how strong the currents are in Louisiana, but on the east coast US where I live, the tide can run 3-5mph. If the wind is less than 10mph going against the current can be almost impossible, especially if its dead upwind.

Reactions: tag
Oh no, inland small city lake right now. The Louisiana coast is crap for sailors, great for fishing. It's a big Delta with crappy brown water. If I was going to sail on the coast, I would drive down to Gulfport Mississippi. But there is no tide problem there. That wouldn't be a problem, but I haven't sailed this boat before and I would prefer to do it in a small lake.

Sailing in light airs is certainly challenging, and a good skill to have whether you're racing or cruising, but it isn't much fun when you're an adult male weighing 180+ lbs. and the sailing drags on forever. Can't remember how many times I had to crawl back up the channel in San Diego Bay after the wind died, hugging the shoreline of NASNI (Naval Air Station, North Island---more wind on that side in light airs) till I reached a point where I could edge further over into the channel to ride the flood a bit. Interesting enough as a technical or tactical exercise, but nowhere near as much fun as sailing in 15+ knots of breeze. Might wanna consider doing something else on days with minimal breeze, unless you're intent upon honing sailing skills in light airs. Just my $.02, for what it's worth. :confused:

HaHa, I've done the same thing on occasion, lowering & lashing the rig, unshipping the rudder, sitting on the bow and using the daggerboard as a paddle, LOL. That last mile or so in the lee of the Coronado Municipal Golf Course and the Coronado Shores Towers can be brutal when the wind dies completely. Still better to paddle instead of trolling for pain off Stingray Point while leading your boat... place is thick with 'em, so doing the "Stingray Shuffle" doesn't always protect you. :confused:

P.S. Ya probably won't find "Stingray Point" on a chart, that's what locals from the old surf shop called it... and for good reason, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:
I operate on a lake with highly variable winds, and just roll with whatever it produces. Fifteen minutes ago, the wind wasn't worth the effort of going out, so I came inside to wait, and now it's too windy! :confused: Your Catalina (and my Columbia) don't work well in light winds. OTOH, with scant wind, the Sunfish can sail circles around either boat. It's just the way it is!

Oops, "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process". Odd, because this photo has appeared here before. :confused:

As I recall, 5-MPH winds barely ruffle the surface, but a Sunfish can sail impressively, as this photo shows. Sailing with practically no wind, yet bow wave and a good stern wake are seen. :cool: I hope I didn't overturn any canoes! :eek:

p4250110[1].jpg

The problem here is we don't have variable winds. We have 3-5mph winds for a week and then maybe a front causes it to pick up for half a day. I've had to walk back across this lake in the past with a different boat. The alligators make it thrilling... I have a little paddle in the sunfish now.

The problem here is we don't have variable winds. We have 3-5mph winds for a week and then maybe a front causes it to pick up for half a day. I've had to walk back across this lake in the past with a different boat. The alligators make it thrilling... I have a little paddle in the sunfish now.
I went out yesterday and noticed the 3-7 MPH (variable) winds were affected by the puffy clouds all over the sky. Shadows that crossed the lake "picked up the pace".

I like sailing those puffy-cloud days, as I can carry my cellphone to capture interesting pictures. No gators seen yesterday, but three large bulls stared at me and my boat. :confused: Since the lake is only daggerboard-deep where I'm photographing those sharp-horned bulls, I worry when they splash the water's edge after 15 seconds of staring. :( I wouldn't want them aboard my little boat.

fullsc17[1].jpg

Video of alligator being tossed off a small boat after boarding it:

Looks like second cousin to Ol' Joe---the legendary 20' gator who chomps on Sunfish sailors, gulps 'em down, and uses the tiller as a toothpick... :eek:

Better watch your back, JosefR, that Ol' Joe is an ornery critter, and a tough customer in a scrap, LOL. :confused:

If anyone is wondering how I got blown over on a lake with no wind, the local newspaper asked me for an action shot when they saw me out there, so I let a puff take me over.

If you see even a small ripple you can move along. We don't stray too far from the launch spot if we have an idea that the wind will completey die while we are out.

We enjoy ghosting, nudge the tiller a bit and take a nap.

How much would you guys say is too much wind? Typically the wind around here is 15-20 which was too much for my holder. I am gonna try to get out tomorrow I think it is suppose to be around 15

Nothin' wrong with 15 knots of breeze... or higher, if you're okay with hiking out while thrashing to windward. I think most recreational sailors like 12-15 knots of breeze, enough to get 'em going and give 'em a sense of freedom and natural power, ya know? Any higher and surface chop comes into play, particularly in tidal areas where wind and current are opposing one another... that always makes for heller chop. :confused:

P.S. A good rule of thumb for gauging wind strength: 12 knots of breeze means intermittent whitecaps, 15 knots of breeze and up means consistent whitecaps everywhere, and good hiking weather if ya don't mind getting soaked. :cool:

I was doing this the same week this article came out. This was the day I had to walk across the lake because of no wind.
Because there'd be a rubbery flavor, maybe a wetsuit discourages alligators in Louisiana? ;)

Florida gators are a tough breed—and to think they were once a protected species in Florida! :rolleyes:

Golfers, in particular, are mentioned too often as casualties of gator attacks. Sunfish sailors, like myself, have to wear special gear to avoid injury—or worse :eek: :

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 5262018 123915 PM.bmp-001.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 5262018 123915 PM.bmp-001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 28
I doubt it, I wouldn't have been out there if I'd known. I went today, supposed tobhave been around 8mph. The boats rudder works pretty good at moving the boat along, luckily. I managed to sail maybe a quarter of a mile circle and the little wind I got came at the cost of a torrential downpour. By the time I paddled back to the landing, the rain had stopped. Not the best first time, but I'm satisfied the boat is well founded. Looks like I'll have to take it to Gulfport on my weekends off if I want wind in the summer.

I doubt it, I wouldn't have been out there if I'd known. I went today, supposed tobhave been around 8mph. The boats rudder works pretty good at moving the boat along, luckily. I managed to sail maybe a quarter of a mile circle and the little wind I got came at the cost of a torrential downpour. By the time I paddled back to the landing, the rain had stopped. Not the best first time, but I'm satisfied the boat is well founded. Looks like I'll have to take it to Gulfport on my weekends off if I want wind in the summer.

Have you checked out the Guppy? I bought one, tried it out, and have since modified it. The modification, a rubber swim fin which replaced the clear plastic sheet, wasn't helpful. The plastic sheet was pretty good after all; but immersed in water, you can't see it working. :confused: Check out the video by Professional Engineer David Stone:

Reviewers wanted: Reviewers wanted

Sunfish sailor, and America's Cup Challenger, Dennis Connor chimed in, too! :)

Back