How much does a Laser Std sail weigh?

Andreas

I measured my Laser standard sail on our home scale and it seemed to be far below 2 kgs. If I buy a new laser standard sail from lasersailing.com it is also 2 kg, including its bag as well!

Now I want to buy a used laser standrad sail from Roostersailing, UK and they are unable to perceive that a Laser sail can easily be sent as a normal postal mail as it is below 2 kgs... (In the EU, You can send things as a cheap postal mail below 2 kgs.) Maybe, if the bag doesn't fit in the 2 kgs limit after packaging, they can just send it in another mail.

But they say it wouldn't fit into 2 kg-s even in the case of sending one 2kg mail with the sail and another mail with the bag...

In a cardboard box, the last full rig sail I shipped weighed 6 lbs or 2.72 kg.

The sail bag alone weighs only a few ounces... You won't save enough weight by splitting up the two.

"In a cardboard box, the last full rig sail I shipped weighed 6 lbs or 2.72 kg."

Isn't that box a bit too heavy? I measured a standard sail on our kitchen scale and it was only 1,5 kg! I can't imagine that they can't wrap it into something so that it still remains under 2 kgs!

The box was a standard carboard box used here in the US - As the shipper, I have a responsibility to make sure what I ship arrives in the same condition as when it left my hands.

So while the whole sail could be wrapped in plastic or even shipped in it's own sailbag, that's not what a normal business is going to want to do just so you can save a few Euros on shipping. If the sail arrives damaged, torn etc who would you hold responsible ?

Also, perhaps your scale may be weighing on the light side.

49208 said:
The box was a standard carboard box used here in the US - As the shipper, I have a responsibility to make sure what I ship arrives in the same condition as when it left my hands.

So while the whole sail could be wrapped in plastic or even shipped in it's own sailbag, that's not what a normal business is going to want to do just so you can save a few Euros on shipping. If the sail arrives damaged, torn etc who would you hold responsible ?

Also, perhaps your scale may be weighing on the light side.

Shipping by the UK post is 10 pounds, whereas shipping by their courier (I hope that's what it's called in english) is 30 pounds. I don't think I can demand anything from anyone if I get a damaged sail. (You won't bring a suit for an old practice sail and the sellers know it as well). On the other hand, it's quite difficult to imagine what can happen to a properly wrapped sail during its postal voyage.
As I bear all the risks in practice, I sustain the right of choosing the cheapest way of shipping.

As regards the scale, I also started to doubt its result, so I measured the sail again an hour ago in my friend's shop with an other scale. The result was 1,9 kgs, therefore it is possible to wrap the sail in something and send it to me as a mail for 10 pounds instead of 30.

Postage costs are not always calculated on the actual weight of the item. You need to know the dimensions of the final package and then a postage cost based on the volume can be determined.

Andreas said:
I measured my Laser standard sail on our home scale and it seemed to be far below 2 kgs. If I buy a new laser standard sail from lasersailing.com it is also 2 kg, including its bag as well!

Now I want to buy a used laser standrad sail from Roostersailing, UK and they are unable to perceive that a Laser sail can easily be sent as a normal postal mail as it is below 2 kgs... (In the EU, You can send things as a cheap postal mail below 2 kgs.) Maybe, if the bag doesn't fit in the 2 kgs limit after packaging, they can just send it in another mail.

But they say it wouldn't fit into 2 kg-s even in the case of sending one 2kg mail with the sail and another mail with the bag...

Ah ha; you have uncovered a conspiracy between Roostersailing and the (UK) Postal Service :( .

We ship Practice sail for Laser Full rig in the box including 2 style bags, battens, numbers, tell tales & clew strap at 7 pounds in the box. We use USPS Global Express Mail to Europe with 7 day service. Shipping cost from the US is $59.00. ( The sail is $199.99)

styluscentral said:
We ship Practice sail for Laser Full rig in the box including 2 style bags, battens, numbers, tell tales & clew strap at 7 pounds in the box. We use USPS Global Express Mail to Europe with 7 day service. Shipping cost from the US is $59.00. ( The sail is $199.99)
How much do you sell numbers for on their own?

styluscentral said:

Nice spam ad, I don't think anyone asked you about shipping non class legal sails anywhere....

I am sorry. We do not sell numbers on their own.

Re "spam" sorry to offend. If someone is asking about getting a used sail shipped to save money, I believe a practice sail is relevant.

Back