How many adults can sail (fit in) a c14.2

dfclimber

I am looking into buying a C14.2. I know they typical crew for racing is 2 with a weight of 300lbs. My question is for "casual" daysailing (<2hrs) how many adults can sit comfortably in the c14. My Guess was 4 adults at max but wanted to get your input.
D

how many

I was at the lake helping out for a boy scout water day last summer. I took myself and 3 young boy scouts on an older Capri. That boat is what got me excited about purchasing a Capri for myself.

I'm 200 lbs, and I won't guess about the boys, but I think they were all in the 5th or 6th grades. There was room for us all. As you all know, the cockpit is pretty wide and real long, just not very deep. We only got bunched up a little bit.

We were sailing in north Georgia after hurricane Fay, we had lot of wind. We didn't have any trouble getting moving. I did stand the boat up on the rail several times, with water coming over the seat, but never capsized. I had fun, but I think they got real nervous with the weather. One boy even asked about the fresh water sharks.

I'm mostly solo on my boat now, so I can't give a good answer on the number of adults.

-Robert
1989 Capri Mod2
1984 Catalina 22

I have had four adults in mine. Depending on the size of the adults, it can be done. I would say that we probably had 600 lbs in it and it handled fine. Three works great also.

Not sure I would want to do it on a regular basis, but four is doable.

Kent

Four adults total is very do able in the C14.2. I've day sailed that way and see many rental C14.2 here in Mission Bay CA sailing that way.

4 adults? Your kidding right?

For the record, one fat man (me) at 235lbs, and about 800lbs of water onboard (brother in law removed the drainplug (something I never do), and she still floats! But Sails? Um not really. It takes a lot to keep her moving with that much weight!

4 adults? I dunno if I'd try it (space constraints, not bouyancy)... 3 would be doable, on opposite sides forward of the barney. Especially if they are of the 200lbs or less variety. 2 kids (12 or under), and an adult (skipper), no problem (done that).

Beyond that, look at a Capri 16.5... 4 adults no problem on one of them, LOTS of cockpit space.

Back