"how high the mast"

We used to have mast climbing competitions back in the day when there was no wind and we were waiting for the powers that be to figure out that there is no wind and/or when the wind will arrive. Anyone out there ever try this? How high did you climb before you hit the water? Any Go-rillas out there? How about social/sailing climbers?

I've tried it before and didnt get that high. ive also tried sailing form awkward possitions like standing on the gooseneck and sailing in the little wind there was and standing on the very back of the boat and tacking behind the boom
Sam

I haven't heard of this one, but i did pull a complete backflip last summer at MJRW:D

Another thing my coach last year did was to have a competition to see who could figure out how to trapeze upside down. needless to say, i won the candy bag, but it's an incredibly fun experience- line youself up along the hull facing forward, then push your legs out over the water. :eek: :p

Last weekend we had very little wind. A tied a rope to the end of the tiller and carried the rope and the mainsheet and climbed up the top of the mast. I sailed around for a while. What a view!

Skipper Johnson said:
Last weekend we had very little wind. A tied a rope to the end of the tiller and carried the rope and the mainsheet and climbed up the top of the mast. I sailed around for a while. What a view!

OK, you've got to be Fred!

i have a freind who pulled a backflip and now the picture is kind of famous in are area. I tried it but don't weigh near enough.

Back in the late 70's I broke a top section doing that because a bunch of us id10ts decided to hold the boat flat for each other and I bent the top section, folded it over actually and ripped a good sail in the process...I waked around all day with a dumb look on my face wondering how I could be soooooo stupid.

I am much older and wiser now...(or perhaps I just can't climb anymore...yea thats probably it)

ahhh good times

rock steady said:
I think Skipper Johnson is even funnier than Fred.

Gouvernail hasn't posted much lately so you may be on to something.

Bradley told me that he actually looked into Skipper Johnson, and he appears to be legit. He is not Fred!

So Skipper Johnson, since you are new to the forum, you must be wondering why we keep yammering on about Fred. Your writing reminds us of his. He can be a funny guy, so that's a good thing. Please tell us about yourself. Where do y'all sail?

haha ive never climbed the mast, but ive sailed rudderless and centerboardless in like no wind, by crawling all the way up on the bow and sailing from there... quite fun

Merrily said:
Bradley told me that he actually looked into Skipper Johnson, and he appears to be legit. He is not Fred!

So Skipper Johnson, since you are new to the forum, you must be wondering why we keep yammering on about Fred. Your writing reminds us of his. He can be a funny guy, so that's a good thing. Please tell us about yourself. Where do y'all sail?

Hello Merrily (life is but a dream)

I sail in Melbourne, Australia. Port Phillip Bay sometimes (the Volvo Ocean Racers were recently here) and a Lake about 5 minutes from home - this is where I am a member. Summer is a nice time to sail here. Usually about 28 celcius (Im guessing about 85 F) and 10-15 knots.

I have a wife, 2 kids , a dog , a cat and a goat. I like sailing and most sport (golf, AFL Aussie rules football, NOT rugby, cricket), reading (Les Miserables favourite book), music - chicks music for some reason - (Jackson Browne, Van Morrison, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan), bushwalking and long romantic walks along a golden beach as the sun sets and waves gently lap....sorry getting carried away !

Bye

if you want to call me Fred, feel free.

I got 3/4 up one time and that was crazy. The wierdest thing I have ever done was prolly getting my friend to do a handstand on the bow of a Laser in front of the mast while sailing, that was defenitely a good one.

I got so bored one day with no wind I jumped into the water and pushed the boat back to the club. Good workout!!!

Cheers
Mark

rock steady said:
Gouvernail hasn't posted much lately so you may be on to something.

I am a bit worried about Gouvernail; he was last seen hunting Easter rabbits with Dick Cheney....

Back