How does the auto bailer work?

Crim

Went out yesterday in the 15-18mph winds we had here in Atlanta, and managed to flip the fish. She righted easily, however I was left with a cockpit full of water. I opened up the drain, but even under sail, it seemed as tho water came into the cockpit thru the hole, rather then exited. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks!
Stephen
'72 sunfish.

No trick, really. The bailer will get rid of most of the water once you have gained some speed; typically, on a reach. But don't expect to get rid of all the water. Then close the bailer and sponge up the remainder, if you don't want to have any water left in the cockpit.

PS: the drain is on the starboard side near the splashguard and should remain closed while you are on the water.

No trick, really. The bailer will get rid of most of the water once you have gained some speed; typically, on a reach. But don't expect to get rid of all the water. Then close the bailer and sponge up the remainder, if you don't want to have any water left in the cockpit.

PS: the drain is on the starboard side near the splashguard and should remain closed while you are on the water.

Ah I didn't mean the drain, I meant the bailer. Perhaps I wasn't moving fast enough along for it to drain. Thanks!

The bailer works by creating an area behind it of lower pressure and thus actually sucking the water out. BUT it only works off the wind. On a close reach or beating it will not draw. Beam reach or running are when it will work.

Back