How Do You Replace A Rudder Head Pintle?

andyatos

Yes, I know... that seems like a silly question to most of you. But my brother and brother in law can't figure out how to do it. The story goes like this.

After putting a ton of work into upgrading both Sunfishes, I get a text from my brother... complaining that someone (likely my sister) bent the bottom of the pintle on the brand new rudder head. Anyway, I sent him this photo. The green arrow is where the pintle is bent.

rudder_head_and_pintle_2.jpg

I tell him that it's likely that there's a ring where the red arrows are pointing to that when removed will allow the pintle to be pulled out the bottom of the rudder head. But even after next day shipping another new pintle from Intensity (the photo on the left), my brother and brother in law were not able to figure out how to replace the pintle. I know, I know... but there's more.

Now my brother's plan is to have a boat company... that charges close to $100 per hour... "fix" the rudder. I know... you can't make this stuff up.

So, how hard can it be? Please help my poor (helpless) brother.

Thanks fellow Sunfish-ers,

- Andy

Hola
I'll do it for $75....

What you have is a pintle, a spring, a washer and either a snap ring or cotter pin, or possibly snap ring AND cotter pin. Older pintles used a snap ring which was a b@&#^ to install to hold the washer down. Newer pintles should come with a snap ring and cotter pin, and have a hole for a cotter pin. I'd ditch the snap ring and focus on the cotter pin, that is used to hold down the washer.

It is a 3 handed operation, or 2 hands and a vise grip. Slide pintle in top hole, position spring with washer on top in middle of rudder cheek tabs and slide pintle through the washer and spring. Then you need a tool like vise grips to push the washer down and look for the cotter pin hole positioned just above the washer. Install cotter pin. Release spring and washer will nestle below the cotter pin, while the bottom of the spring rests on the bottom cheek tab.

This example has the snap ring, no cotter pin hole

pintle.JPG

Now the debate starts on whether the pin should push down from the top or up from the bottom. LP made them both ways.

Last edited:
Thanks Signal Charlie. After posting above, I cleaned my office for 30 minutes then searched Google and found the answer in about 45 seconds. Here's the link.

I'll send my brother and brother in law the link as well.

Cheers,

- Andy

.......and then it slowly dawns on us that the only thing holding the rudder fitting together is a snap ring..............

The weak links as mentioned, snap ring, cotter pin and a bent pintle is why I have made the switch to a 3/8 x 5'' stainless steel bolt and 2 nuts to lock it in. I have experienced sailing down time do to this simple part failing and have a drawer full of broken pintles. I would recommend that all Sunfish sailors with the new style rudder have one of these bolts on hand to save the day. For $3 the price is right too.
Easy and inexpensive fix if you do not require the real quick release.
Minas man

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 69
Force 5 sailors do the same thing as they have had issues with the 3/8" pin on earlier boats. Newer pintles are now 1/2" diameter.

I believe that the 3/8 is thick enough but it is the thin spots that bend and break are the weak points.

Minas man

Back