Class Politics how do you propose new additions to the rules?

R

Ross B

I am currently trying to push Boom Preventers, or JC Straps as they are also called, and also in a way sleeves for top sections, twin loops for hiking straps, and also kinetics, but mainly JC Straps lol. So aside from keeping the thread going, found here: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6008

how do I get my JC Strap idea proposed as a new addition to the rules, to the ILCA?

It's very easy to get changes made to rules in the Laser class...

1. Write up your proposal and send it to the class officers in your district, country and region.

2. Post on this forum and everywhere else about why it is a great idea.

3. Lobby every class member you meet about it.

4. Wait two years.

5. Decide that the current class officers are not interestd in your idea, so run for office yourself.

6. Get elected.

7. Put up with continual abuse from the membership about how you are not responsive to their ideas.

8. Wait two years.

9. Get your idea formally accepted as a proposed rule change.

10. Wait two years.

11. Have your idea accepted by the ballot of all class members world-wide with 43 people voting for your idea and 14 against.

12. Wait two years for ISAF to ratify your idea.

13. Wait four years until the next Olympic cycle is complete so that your new idea doesn't unfairly prejudice the national selection trials or Olympic competition.

14. Wait two years until the class newsletter officially announces that your new idea has been officially approved.

15. Go out and buy a piece of bungee cord and rig your JC strap.

16. Put up with two years of abuse on this forum from people who can't see how to rig the JC strap and who claim that their boom fell off, hit them on the head, crash gybed, or broke because of your stupid idea.

17. Resign from the class in disgust.

18. Collect Social Security.

Go for it!

salsa,

Can I add an item to your list? (I support all your suggestions, too.)

I would like to be able to use any brand of mainsheet blocks (specifically something with ball bearings, not sleeve bushings.)

Sounds to me like Old_Geezer" has only described the "fast track" method for really urgent changes.

Ian

I am currently trying to push Boom Preventers, or JC Straps as they are also called, and also in a way sleeves for top sections, twin loops for hiking straps, and also kinetics, but mainly JC Straps lol. So aside from keeping the thread going, found here: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6008

how do I get my JC Strap idea proposed as a new addition to the rules, to the ILCA?

There is actually a writeup of the procedure that should be posted to the ILCA website very soon (I believe the wording is approved, only the posting needs to be done). The basic steps are straightforward: once you have your proposal written up then the most direct path is to have your District Secretary submit your proposal to the ILCA office (NOT the ILCA-NA office as for some reason they don't want "Regional Assemblies" submitting proposals). The ILCA office will then hand the proposal over to the Technical and Measurement Committee who will add the item to their list of proposals for rule changes.

Submitting a proposal for a rule change is, of course, only the first step and in no way guarantees that it will be enacted. There is purposely a lot of resistance in the system, especially since the Laser, Radial and 4.7 currently fall very solidly in the "it ain't broke so doesn't need fixing" category. So, don't expect to see it immediately appear on a rules change ballot. Even if you have a truly great idea, that fits well within the Laser philosophy, hardly costs any money, etc., etc., you should still be prepared for things to happen on what will seem like geological time scales.

Still, all the changes we have seen on the Laser begain with proposals from the Class membership and I'm sure that with all the creative people out there sailing the boats that we will see many more!

Tracy

PS I'm also on the TMC, regularly read TLF and find the discussions of boat modifications very interesting. So keep it coming!

perfect, thanks alot Tracy! and the fact that your on the TMC really helps and gives us a leg up!

Tracy, do you have any idea when the proposal/ predecure form will be posted on the ILCA website?

The proposal to publish the process for how to make proposals for rule changes is currently going through the slow-track process for proposals on how to make proposals for how to make rule changes. Please be patient. There is a lot of viscosity in the system.

Please don't misunderstand my cynical comments about the pace of change of Laser class rules. I actually quite like the fact that it's hard to change the rules and, at least initially, find that I am opposed to most rule changes that are proposed.

The boat is what it is. It's incredibly popular as it is. It's not broken. So why fix it?

Im not saying its broken, im saying it could be made better, to further enhance the expericence

most of the changes have been made to further enhance the experience, and dont even have to be used! like the new rigging, it greatly enhances the experience!

are you still using the old rigging Old Geezer? are you still using wood boards and tiller, an Elvestrom sail? I think you need a new experience!

Geezer,
Thank you for you entertaining and I don't doubt painfully accurate view of this class's politics. I'm new to Lasers, and am not used to such unresponsive leadership. I laud conservatism and am very frugal, but upgrading the sail to a better nylon would even be cheaper, and Harken blocks never ever break, and are cheaper to boot. I may not even join. But I will have fun with my little boat. It's like sailing my model.
George

Like I tell my wife. If you don't vote for President, (or other public offices) you can't complain about who's in there. My point. Jon the class and be heard!

George - my account of the rule change process is by no means "accurate". It was meant as a joke. The rule change process is deliberate but it is also democratic. And I like the fact that we don't just react immediately to every suggested change.

And I certainly did not mean to imply that the class leadership is unresponsive. Tracy Usher, for example, is very responsive via this forum and other methods. I have experience of other classes, and other times in the Laser class, and I think that the current leadership of our class is excellent.

No I don't sail with a wooden board. And I do use the new rigging. But I voted against it and I would be quite happy sailing with the original vang (before even the silly rope trick era). I was pretty good at that old skill of standing up and bouncing on the boom to supervang. Hey, it was the same for everyone and we had just as much fun as we do today.

dont you think it would be just as much fun with the changes I have proposed? I sure do

Back