How do you get rid of scuff marks?

LindaP

Okay, now that I have the boat turned over, I can see that the light blue hull has these white scuff marks all over the bottom. How do I get rid of these? Is there a way to buff them out? I want to wash and wax this hull, so what products do you all use?

I also noticed a slight crack in the gelcoat on the corner of the slot where the dagger board slides out from. I have these random cracks on the deck and inside the cockpit as well.

I'm including some photos. One is a photo of the scuff marks, the other photo is the gelcoat crack.

Attachments

• sunfish_hull2.jpg
    sunfish_hull2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 51
  • sunfish_hull.jpg
    sunfish_hull.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 55
A marine or car wax would probably take care of the scuff marks, painting is a more expensive but guaranteed to work solution... As for the crack in the gel coat, i wouldn't worry about it unless it's actually leaking. In that case a bondo fiberglass repair kit would be sufficient though.

Those look more like scratches than scuff marks. Assuming this is gel coat, not paint, wet sanding with a series starting with 320 or 400 and going finer until you are satisfied should get them out, or at least to something you can live with.

Thank you all very much for your replies. Davavd, these do look more like scratches. I don't think this owner took very good care of this boat. I plan on turning that trend around. :)

Back