How do I tell standard from radial?

acampillo

Hi,
I am going to see a used laser that's for sale.
The owner doesn't know if the rigging is Standard or other. How do I tell? Do I need to measure the sail, or the mast?
Thanks,

Alejandro

If it is a newer radial sail it will have blue patches on the corners, full rigs wont have the blue corners. If it is an older sail look at the seams of the sails, the seams on a full rig go straight across the sail and are parallel, and a radial sail's seems all go to the clew of the sail.

also on a radial the wide part of the window is closer to the mast and the wide part is closer to the clew on a full rig

Yes, the radial cut (instead of the straight cut) should be the easiest way to tell. Besides Hydroslyder's comments I would like to add that the lower mast-section is shorter. The exact length is probably specified at the builder's website (teamvanguard.com). Also, if the seller does not know what kind of rig it has, it is a 99% chance that it is a normal full rig. If they bought a special rig, they would have known, or the previous owner would have told them. The only difference between the two is the size of the sail, and the bottom section (shorter and less stiff). Everything else is the same. Thus, it is relatively easy to change from one rig to the other.
Good luck, and I hope you will buy a laser soon!
GWF

acampillo said:
Hi,
The owner doesn't know if the rigging is Standard or other. Alejandro

But other than the sail???

Odds are pretty good the boat has not been worn out by lots and lots of racing

Still...check the deck stiffness, mast step for leaks, check to see if the hull is horribly bent from long term storage.

The simplest way to know would be to unroll the sail. If it's a radial, the seams will radiate from the clew, hence the name radial. If it's a full rig, the seams will be basically parallel to the foot.

The Laser or Sailmakers patch says Radial, Laser or M rig.
The cut is Radial
The luff is shorter
The windows are key for determining finishes (Large partof window forward in radial)
As well as the angle of the Laser Burst on the sail. Laser is angled Radial is Paralell to the boom.
Very handy when fleets converge and finish or are started together.

Steve.

Back