How do I go about buying a laser?

O0laserO0

I am 16 and I have just started sailing about a two years ago, I bought a flying junior from a guy and now I want to buy a single person boat because I am kinda the only person that likes to sail in my family. I sold the flying junior for what I bought it for and I am trying too look for a laser that I could race competivly and still be in my price range. If you could help me find a 1980+ laser that is probibly 2,500.00 or less I would be grateful. And if you have any good advice for a new sailor I could use it, Thanks! :D

I bought my 1989 laser for $2000 it had a sail & trailer (no performance upgrades and i like it alot but be careful i've had to get the sail repaired and come next year i'll need a new sail, but the hull was like new (seriously i've got riends with new boats (2000-2004) and my hull is as good as there's), so just go to a local sailing club and look in the classifieds and be sure to check over every part of the boat (don't get screwed on the sail like i did:mad: ).

Crazy Sailor

Check the For Sale section here, check the for sale section on the Vanguard site, check your local area's sailing assocations. If you give us a general area where you are, we may be able to point you towards other selling resources as well.

Become familiar with the search function on the forum - there is a ton of info on what to look for when buying used boats, as well as advice for new sailors...

Thank you everyone for your reply's, I am actually located in seattle Washington this winter but in the spring I will be located in Wisconsin. So a good idea for me is to find a pretty good hull and to upgrade it a little? Thanks for all your help.

Derek

Oh, also I have been looking at all of the web sites that you have listed, and the for sale forum. They have all been helpful. I'm just wating for a good deal, I think I will look around in Washington when I'm out there. :)

I'm pretty new to this game but at your price range you should be able to find something from the early 90's that has the rigging upgrades. Maybe a trailer or dolly to sweeten the deal.

I know a guy in Charleston, SC that has a 95' for sale asking $2500.00. It has all the upgrades, extra sail/sails? and top sections. He campaigned it for an olympic spot for the 96 games. I understand its a nice boat. PM me and I'll hook you up w/him.

After looking at my financial situation agian I am probibly looking at spending about 2k for a laser. And as of now I am not going to be able to purchase anything until this spring, when I know where I am going to live. This is so hard to know what to do.
Thanks for you help everyone!

You should try to purchase the boat now or in the next few months because you will get a better deal (people would rather sell than store). In the spring prices go up some (people would rather sail than sell). Think about it!

Your right, but I can't be trailering a laser 2000 miles across the U.S. I am just going to have to wait. :( So thats how its going to go I guess. But if anyone else has any suggestions, please tell me. :)

Back