How do I determine price to sell Sunfish?

TawandaMcBeth

Hi, I have a 1964 Sunfish in good condition with sail and trailer, but I don't know much about it other than it has a patched hole in the hull. How do I determine a fair sale price?

You need to give a lot more information to get some estimates from knowledgeable people on this forum. For instance,
Show a picture of the repair
Does the hull leak?
How much does the hull weigh?
Show a picture of the sail; any holes?
Are the spars straight or corroded?
Is the trailer in working order; lights, tires can be problematic.
Does the trailer have its 'papers'?

Hi In addition to what Wave dancer said. Location. Of the boat makes a huge difference.
Long Island NY will be different than Long Beach California. Check out Craigslist, Facebook market place and see what sunfish are selling for.
Also Covid made the price of boats a bit higher than usual. A 1964 boat is pretty old. So to have everything in working order helps.

I'll start: ;)

I sold a nice 1970 for $700, and that was after 24 hours on Craigslist! There was no trailer, the buyer just cartopped it back home.

When getting a second eye treatment at a new optician, I thought the doctor looked familiar. He was the buyer of that very Sunfish!

The next two '70s Sunfish were Craigslist-advertised at $900 each. A buyer called up asking to buy both! By the time he got his new truck fixed (twice), I'd moved from the location. :(

He hadn't even seen what he was buying, but had good involvement with local sailing clubs on the SE Florida coast; again, no trailers involved.

Too many conditions to consider.

Where are you located? I am here in the NE and no one is thinking water till the spring so no hope of getting decent money till then.

Condition is everything. How heavy is it, what does the hole patch look like, what condition is the sail and rigging?

Does the trailer have proper paperwork for your state? Do you know how to properly do the paperwork?

Does the hull have a title or proper paperwork for registration as some areas that can be important.

Has the rudder by changed over to the new style?

For NJ a sunfish of the older ages do not sell in the above $500 range. Or should I say those ads seem to say online for months. A trailer really does not ad as much to the value unless it has proper paperwork (NJ is a registration only for those trailers).

A repaired older hull with an old sail and rigging should not be above $500 and really under $300. My reasoning is that a sail and rigging are going to cost you a few hundred. When you are done you have a boat that sells for less then $500. Personally I wont touch an early Sunfish.

That is my take on it all. Keep in mind the most I have spent on a Sunfish (I have 3) is $300 and that was for a 1996 with a cart (the cart is worth more then the trailer it seems). That one needs a couple of small holes repair and 2 minor tears in the sail. So that is what is out there.

Too many conditions to consider.

Where are you located? I am here in the NE and no one is thinking water till the spring so no hope of getting decent money till then.

Condition is everything. How heavy is it, what does the hole patch look like, what condition is the sail and rigging?

Does the trailer have proper paperwork for your state? Do you know how to properly do the paperwork?

Does the hull have a title or proper paperwork for registration as some areas that can be important.

Has the rudder by changed over to the new style?

For NJ a sunfish of the older ages do not sell in the above $500 range. Or should I say those ads seem to say online for months. A trailer really does not ad as much to the value unless it has proper paperwork (NJ is a registration only for those trailers).

A repaired older hull with an old sail and rigging should not be above $500 and really under $300. My reasoning is that a sail and rigging are going to cost you a few hundred. When you are done you have a boat that sells for less then $500. Personally I wont touch an early Sunfish.

That is my take on it all. Keep in mind the most I have spent on a Sunfish (I have 3) is $300 and that was for a 1996 with a cart (the cart is worth more then the trailer it seems). That one needs a couple of small holes repair and 2 minor tears in the sail. So that is what is out there.
Shorefun: I live in NJ and have been searching for awhile now without luck for a reasonably priced sunfish that has a title. Do you have any tips to help me? Thanks!

Shorefun: I live in NJ and have been searching for awhile now without luck for a reasonably priced sunfish that has a title. Do you have any tips to help me? Thanks!
Good luck on finding one with a title. Most are long lost or no one cared to be bothered based on my experience. I did happen to pick up one with a title local to me for $300 with the cart.

If you want a title go to NY and buy one. NY does not require a title so, check with the state, you are likely to just need a bill of sale. Might need it notarized, but I do not know, check with the state title division.

What do you consider reasonably priced? What work are you willing to do? How fast can you react with cash and do you have a way to get it home if it does not have a trailer?

I bought 2 just by watching facebook marketplace. The first one was $50 and I just got FB suggesting it as something I am interested in because I had been searching. It was just posted 5 minutes before. The second one was $200 and I found the post 10 mins after posting. Both were just pure luck, but I was not in a hurry and they just fell in my lap. Of course no title. The only ones I have noticed with titles were newer and over $1000.

The best way to find a deal is to check FB and craigslist often during the day. Be ready to go quickly and get them home. Know that if you buy one with a trailer that the trailer will not have a title. You will need a registration paper and they must notarize a bill of sale to transfer the ownership of the trailer for NJ. I know this because of my Hunter 170.

Cash is king so be sure to keep enough on hand to move quick. When I sell stuff I want cash in hand or the first person with it gets it.

For NJ right now is a very bad time to be looking for a deal. A soon as we approach spring the listings start ramping up, but right now there are only some overpriced boats that have been online forever.

If you want a title go to NY and buy one. NY does not require a title so, check with the state, you are likely to just need a bill of sale. Might need it notarized, but I do not know, check with the state title division.

What do you consider reasonably priced? What work are you willing to do? How fast can you react with cash and do you have a way to get it home if it does not have a trailer?

I bought 2 just by watching facebook marketplace. The first one was $50 and I just got FB suggesting it as something I am interested in because I had been searching. It was just posted 5 minutes before. The second one was $200 and I found the post 10 mins after posting. Both were just pure luck, but I was not in a hurry and they just fell in my lap. Of course no title. The only ones I have noticed with titles were newer and over $1000.

The best way to find a deal is to check FB and craigslist often during the day. Be ready to go quickly and get them home. Know that if you buy one with a trailer that the trailer will not have a title. You will need a registration paper and they must notarize a bill of sale to transfer the ownership of the trailer for NJ. I know this because of my Hunter 170.

Cash is king so be sure to keep enough on hand to move quick. When I sell stuff I want cash in hand or the first person with it gets it.

For NJ right now is a very bad time to be looking for a deal. A soon as we approach spring the listings start ramping up, but right now there are only some overpriced boats that have been online forever.
New Hampshire boat dealers will also sell you a Sunfish certificate with an official hull number and hull decal for about $45. Bring a Bill of Sale with you.

Check with New Jersey if reciprocity with New Hampshire is acceptable. (I'd expect it would be OK).

New Hampshire boat dealers will also sell you a Sunfish certificate with an official hull number and hull decal for about $45. Bring a Bill of Sale with you.

Check with New Jersey if reciprocity with New Hampshire is acceptable. (I'd expect it would be OK).
Thanks for the input Shorefun and L&VW! From what I can tell from the NJ DMV, it appear that a bill of sale from NJ or another state won't work. I have been trying to stick to a boat priced under $1,000 but it seems that is unrealistic for a boat with a title. I can move fast if something comes up...I have cash and a pickup with a bed extender to transport. I am willing to do some basic repairs. I will try to be patient for now and increase my search frequency on Craigslist. Thanks again!

I’m glad I don’t live in NJ - this sounds like a hassle. But per this, if you are not operating your boat for 180 consecutive days, does it need to be registered? (Although that clause would seem to exempt most pleasure boats which does not make sense)
2BA399C5-E5EE-4DC5-A8CC-C92E13488A53.jpeg

Many states dont require titles for un-powered boats....or under 16ft...or either/both etc.

In NJ I can assure that if you buy a vehicle from out of state and the other state is a none title state for that vehicle then NJ will accept other documents.

I bought a 1930 Model A Ford from Vermont which is an none title state for cars that old. They accepted a bill of sale and it needed to be registered in that state. NY for a sunfish they do not have registration or titles. You will just need some sort of bill of sale.

Please take the time to contact the NJ DMV title department and get all the correct details.

Every state has reciprocity in how they deal with the sometimes radically different title and registration requirements.

:eek: I've seen enough of NJ registration questions here to recommend that you ask for the same individual each time you call. (Get an extension number).

When it comes time to go to the registration counter, make sure you get the same individual.

Many states dont require titles for un-powered boats....or under 16ft...or either/both etc.
In New Hampshire, the length of 12-feet requires no registration, and there are no other fees.

At $45 a year (and $900 after 20 years), I should have considered removing two feet from the bow!

NJ is not that bad of recent. But they were an early title state and kept it more regulated.

Some states these days are insisting that you show them the vin on antique cars. This means pulling the body on some cars (Model A Fords for one) just to get an out of state car transferred into that state. Obviously not a simple task.

Back