how critical are screw sizes (length)

I was looking at replacing some of the hardware and simultaneously replacing the mounting hardware.
I have downloaded the official Laser parts diagrams. Now all screw sizes are imperial, and I have to find the nearest metric size. Apparantly size 10 is 4.8mm. But 5/8" = 16mm is not a normal screw size readily available in 316 A4 stainless.
How critical is the length of e.g. the screws to mount the cleat for the traveller line? Could I cause an internal puncture?

Forget the diagrams. Take the old screws out and measure them and their holes. (For instance, you can use a thin long nail to measure the thickness of the material at a hole.) Get new screws that are the closest size up from the originals, or otherwise right for the existing holes. (Like, if the original screws are unnecessarily long, you can naturally switch to shorter ones.)

What could you puncture with the traveller cleat screws? A cubitainer?

Thank you for responding.
I was under the umpression that the wooden supports are attached with a layer of glass fibre and that an overly long screw could penetrate this inner layer.

I don't see any problem going through the inner skin. You'd do it anyway if you were to switch to bolts, and you'll use a sealant in any case. The standard control line plate screws are so long that they're definitely all the way through; don't know about the traveller cleat (never unscrewed it) but I guess you'll find out soon.

In a manufacturing environment, items like screws are standardized so as to achieve an economy of scale. The cored deck of a Laser is 5/8" (15.875 mm) thick. On the centerline at attachment points such as the traveler cleat, the foam is supplanted by plywood. Naturally, you cannot find a 5 x 16, so use a 5 x 20 and above the waterline sealant. It will not hurt anything.

Back