How can you tell if its a laser or laser II

David Melin

I have been looking at used Lasers. One being advertised is a Laser, however it has a main and a jib. I thought only the Laser II had two sails. The boat was built in 1988 but the Laser II was discontinued in 1987. I hav teh hull number which is :

serial/HIN ZID0456L889 and t sail number is 52i64

Anyone know?

Thank you

the Laser II was discontinued in 1987
No it wasn't. Boats were still built in the 2000s, and I understand the final decision to quit came with the founding of LaserPerformance in 2008.
HIN ZID0456L889 and t sail number is 52i64
The serial number makes no sense either for a Laser or a Laser 2, and the sail number doesn't match it in any way. Check them again. Or could you post a link to the original ad?

Perhaps it's neither a Laser or Laser II and was erroneously described as such, either mistakenly or intentionally.

It's actually pretty close, both ways. It's something built by Performance Sailcraft Canada in July, 1988. For instance, if the numbers are actually ZID7456L889/5264, it could be Laser 2 number 7456 with a mainsail from a boat built a few years earlier. Anyway, a Laser 2 would explain the jib talk.

Looking for a replacement laser II mast for our 1997-8 laser II. Ours was damaged. Ideas where to find one? We are north of Toronto in Canada. Serial number is SL110238D696.

Back