How can you determine age of SunFish?

DavidS

I just picked up a used Sunfish and would like to figure out it's age and history. The serial plate says:

Sailfish Sportscraft
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Alcort Sunfish

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There's a yahoo forum - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

They have a file in the files section that gives a history with serial nos. You may have to be a member to view it. I am, so I looked up your SN 6123. It suggest it's between 1962 and 1963. Although the history shows a gap in the serial nos right where your boat lies. Are you sure there isn't another digit in there? If so, it's a 1969.

Is it a wood or fiberglass boat?

I can e-mail you the 2.3mbit PDF Sunfish history document if you like (need a reasonably fast connection)

Jim

Thanks Jim,

The boat is fiberglass and it has the old style rudder. If you could email the file to: [email protected] I would really appreciate it (it's a high speed connection).

I checked the serial plate again but couldn't see another digit.

I need to replace a few parts such as the dagger board and some rudder parts so I was hoping the history would save some aggravation down the road when I source out what I need.

Regards,
David

The Yahoo get-together is just another free discussion group like this one. Sign up there too. It’s one more helpful information resource. Take all you can find.
To state the obvious, your boat came out of the Richmond Hill, ON boatworks instead of the Waterbury, Conn. one. Don’t think that makes any difference. That serial number gap appears everywhere I’ve seen a number listing. Don’t know what they did back then to cause an anomaly in the sequence. Shouldn’t matter for part hunting. At this stage it boils down to visually matching since there isn’t a retro parts industry like there is for old cars. There weren’t many significant changes up to 1972 when the rudder system got an overhaul. Shopping is just a matter of looking for corresponding pieces among the ads for used parts. All the small parts of today can almost directly swap out for those of yesteryear.

Thanks Dan...I'm new to the Sunfish and looking forward to next summer. The more resources the better and I'll check out the Yahoo discussion group.

Back