Honest Opinion, What's Better?

o3dw4rdo

For the spring season for school we(the school/s) have been sailing club 420's, but at a collegic rules (no spinnaker or trapeze)...
and now i am just starting to get into laser sailing...
which do you find "better" or more enjoyable?

and yes sometimes sailing with a parter can get annoining, but in the end u always have fun. and sailing by urself is just as fun. :D

One major difference is the teamwork involved in the 420. Must be why I'm now in a Laser. I always had a hard time finding crew when I had a doublehand boat...

420's are fun boats...however... i found that after several years of sailing them I seemed to have "mastered" the boat. Now... considering that I am a glutton for punishment... every time I take my laser out in big breeze, I get beat up pretty good. I feel the laser is harder to master upwind and a hell of a lot easier to lose control of downwind. Lasers are easier to get planing and, in my opinion, easier to accelerate on the line.

On the other hand... there are days when I miss having someone else in the boat, esp if I am going out to sail just for fun. Shutes are always a good time... unfortunately for you, collegate sailing does not allow them.

Also, in my area there is a much more aggressive laser fleet than the 420 fleets.

It's all personal choice and both boats have their strong points... but my vote is hands down for the laser.

No I sail for another college, but know quite a few people on OCC's team

Oh, and personally I am more comfortable in a 420 right now, but that's just because I've spent more hours in it. I'd rather race a 420 because I feel more competent. For just fun though, its the laser. You can have fun in a laser in 7kt. That's pretty darned boring in a 420...

yea i completely understand lol. i mean it takes a good 12kt to get ur crew to hike decently. what college do u sail for? and if u know amy hawkins or max lopez i go to school with him

i know both i sail out of Toms River Yacht Club and i do the hs races around there. What bout u? My name is Dylan. By the way Max is @#%&*^. I dont know Amy that well but she seems nice. GO FOR THE LASER.

Laser sailing is defiantly better when I have sailed a 420 or any more than one person boat I always end up mad at them for doing something wrong or not letting me "drive" or saying I'm not letting them do anything. In a laser It's your decisions not someone else's, there is also a feeling of independence that goes along with it.

haha thanks guys. and dylan i definately know what u mean. he is f*&^ing annoining but he is a good sailor and he has taught me a lot.

420 (spinny and trap) with 2 laser sailors in 30+knts is more fun than a laser in those conditions;)

Are you going to be sailing with Mon Don in Connecticut? Because that weekend may 4th i am holding a clinic with Ryan Minth, he is the Chinese Olympic team coach and he coached his student to 2nd in the worlds. Hes really good. You and anyone else on this forum is welcome to come. It will be held at Toms River Yacht Club, NJ. You should definetly come. Anyone interested should send me a private message and ill email u the stuff. Its gonna b awesome.

Back