homemade dolly circa TwentyTen

powergroove

I made this today in about 2.5 hrs and $65. It seems strong, and is really stable with the boat on it(boat doesnt try to flip off backwards and doesnt slip forwards or sideways).
Im going to make it a class legal dolly and sell them for $565...each...plaus shipping and a class surcharge...and a manufacturer surcharge...and an ISAF surcharge...and a little money to Gary Jobson, and I cant forget my friends at TLF!

seriously, It took a little trial and error, 1 trip to Lowes, 1 trip to Harbor Friegt for the tires, and 2 trips to Lake Murray Hardware, but I can spell it all out for someone to save them the headache.

The 4th pic is the 1st prototype with 4 wheels, but it ran down the boat ramp and sunk to the bottom...Jk, but it didnt know when to stop, so this one has 2 wheels and a rubber stop at the front

pics

Attachments

• new doly.jpg
    new doly.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 199
  • newdolly2.jpg
    newdolly2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 163
Nice homebuilt job. I'm sure you will get a lot of use relative to the dollars paid. However, I think those PVC joints are going to fail over time.

you cant see the tee connector at the front, its the only added strength, but the weight placement takes the load off, and it doesnt flex as much as you would think. I was skeptical too when I saw the prototype(the one with 4 wheels)
I will load the boat tomorrow and take some more pics...and attempt to upload...again

If you would, can you take a picture of the boat on the dolly and the front raised off the ground and supported at the handles as if someone were holding it? From the side of course.

Do they make anything like 60 degree PVC joints, or just right angles? I would have made a triangular frame.

I cant seem to upload any other pics, but check out my for sale ad "1982 Laser Standard Rig" and there is a pic of the prototype dolly with 4 wheels. Mine and that one have 45 degree bends on it for the handles. I used 2 tee conctors for the handle, and the prototype is just a "U ". I put a line thru the Tee just to tie off to the boweye. I also lost the strap, will let you know if that was a good thing or not soon.
Threaded rod with washers on the back axle keeps it stiff. Ive seen the triangluler version, not sure if it worked or not, never seen it used(might be a reason)

Heres the skinny
5/8" Threaded Rod 11.47 (Lowes)
2 tires $10 (Harbor Freight)
1 rubber stop(I had this laying around), it is on the underneath of the front tee coonectors to keep from rolling, I dont think you really need it though
PVC
3 10ft sections 1.5"
8 Tee Connectors
2 45 degree bend couplers
2 couplers
2 step down connections 1.5" to 1"
2 1" Tees
2 Screw in Caps, drilled with 5/8ths bit for Axle
2 Nylock nuts
4 regular nuts
8 washers
1 can PVC Glue
1 of the 3 10ft section is cut for all the various pieces, the other 2 are the middle "length" ribs

Total minus glue $65

well done! It seems there is a weak point where the rear supports meet the axle. Would a strap/crossbar help there or is that not necessary?

Hope it's Schedule 80 pvc and not 40.

Many have been made with 40, only to break at the joints

Doesn't look terribly strong - but then the Laser isn't terribly heavy...

As long as you keep it out of the sun so it doesn't deteriorate it'll probably be fine.

good job! :)

If you were to use electrical PVC. The grey stuff you could heat it with a heat gun and bend it to the angles you need. That means less connectors. It is also less slippery.

Okay, its been together 24 hrs and hasnt broke yet...the clock is ticking, will let you know when it all explodes.
BTW I put an Intensity Tyvek cover on today, its in full sun,so I will let the clock tick on that one too.

The weak spot in my eye is the bend from the long axis to the handles, I think I should have used longer bends, more gluing area, but I may put some screws in it and see how it goes.
The other point that gave me such a fit was the width at the gunwale uppers. I had them too wide at first which caused the axle to bend down. I shortened them enough to cause them to bend outwards a fuzz, which fixed to slump in the rear axle.

The debate on homemade dollies versus commercial ones, is lenghty on this site, with no clear winner.

No one really criticizes the great quality of commerically made dollies, they looks great and the feedback is very positive, the only draw back seemed to be the price. So I guess that is why so many of us try the homemade route.

At an entry level sailor, you want to put your money elsewhere.:cool:

Here's my attempt at a homemade unit with aluminium tubing etc., my material cost is app. 250.00$CA, with experience and proper connections, I am sure it can be done for less.

It looks good though and can be dismantled in part for ease of transport.;)

Ghislain

Attachments

• dolly1.jpg
    dolly1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 124
Sorry to say, I have seen sturdier designs from PVC.... and none have lasted longer than a year.

Not even ones for Optimist sailboats.

Back