Homemade blade bags?

chinbeard

Has anyone made their own blade bag or modified something else to make a blade bag? I just got my first boat, and I was looking online for one $100+!!! That's almost as much as the BOAT!

If you got a boat for only a few $100, you got a great deal. The boats new are over $3000.

If you won't be racing, some corrugated cardboard may perform adequately for your case.

If you are racing, then you'll likely be more concerned. Blade bags are a specialty type item. Once an individual has bought one, they likely won't need one again for 25 or more years. So, the few manufacturers have to have a way to keep their lights on and discounting of the product just doesn't make sense. Most are made of high tech materials, with many pockets and special features, and are very durable. I have flown with mine (I put it into a "sporting goods" oversized plastic bag available from the airlines to help cut down on damage and grease on the bag).

$100 for a bag over 25 years makes it a true bargain.

If you want to make your own, be sure to allow enough room for the depth taken by the tiller, tiller extension, rudder blade, mounting cheeks, daggerboard, etc. Padding that dries quickly will be best.

Good luck. I've made sail covers but never a blade bag.

I saw a sunfish owner's blade bag who also had a Laser blade bag both made from the "legs" of some cotton blue jeans. I thought it was a pretty useful idea. They treated the bags with a waterproofing finish used for fabric tents. The ankles were hemmed shut and a foot long zipper closed the leg at the upper thigh. It did not seem to protect as a padded bag would, but rubbing and gentle bumps it looked like a great re-use of a pair of jeans.

Try your local sporting goods store. Some people put the blade and rudder into a hard shell hunting bow case. I've seen them for as little as $19.99. Most do have a hunting scene or whatever on it.

Back