History of the sailing group out of Darien CT in the 1970's

Roger K

I remember a large group of sailors that came from Connecticut, New York, New Jersey to sail off Weed Beach in Darien CT around the early 1970's... I can not find much info on the group... One of my friends who sailed Lasers remembers a guy from New Canaan CT who developed the Super Sunfish... Can anyone shed some light on the group and its history?

Roger

That was the Darien Sunfish Yacht Racing Assoc. The Formula S inventor was John Black Lee. The DSYRA had pretty much wound down by the early 80s .

I remember a large group of sailors that came from Connecticut, New York, New Jersey to sail off Weed Beach in Darien CT around the early 1970's... I can not find much info on the group... One of my friends who sailed Lasers remembers a guy from New Canaan CT who developed the Super Sunfish... Can anyone shed some light on the group and its history?

Roger
Roger, yes I raced there for yrs in the 60-70's. The super sunfish guy was John Black Lee, New Canaan, ct. Also Will White down in Arcadia, Fl. is till with us. Also, Jack Evans, guilford, ct. still around. If want allot of history contact Sunfish Class historian, Rapid Buttner, Plymouth mass. If you can get back to me off line, I can get you email addresses. Odie 203-453-6416

Roger
I lived in Darien from the mid 60's until 1972. I sailed my Sunfish in those waters back then. But my first "Sunfish" was home made out of marine plywood from Popular Mechanics plans, so I could not sail it competitively. But it sailed nicely and my new wife and I had a lot of fun with it. We even hitched it to the back of our car and took it on our honeymoon.

When I moved to Florida in 1972, I bought a real Sunfish. My sons and I enjoyed it for many years, and then it went under a tarp and sat for decades in my backyard. My grandsons are now of age where they can learn to sail, so I pulled out the boat and found the hull in remarkably good shape. I am now in the process of getting it back in sailing shape.

Reactions: tag

Back