Historic Vessel Vega

In Europe there used to be a 27' cruiser called a Vega (the class). It stuck in my memory because it was one of the boats I sailed in as a child. When it went into production it was apparently quite a new manufacturing concept as I believe it was the first fibre glass hull to be made using a system where gel and glass were both sprayed into the mould at teh same time (i.e. no glass mats). Glass was fed as a bundle of fibres to the gun where it was chopped and sprayed with the gel. I only remember this because it was difficult getting some aspects of insurance on the boats as, despite being produced by a reputable builder (Albin in Sweden), nobody (insurance company anyway) knew the limitations of the technique as of course they would not do anything like take any sort of risk !! But it was not a major issue and the hulls are still around today (no longer in production but still available 2nd hand). http://www.albinvega.co.uk/ Good boat but not the one above.

Ian

Thanks hope you enjoyed the images of Vega. Always welcome to join us on our blog also. I enjoy the hot topics here and get a lot of good ideas from your gang.

We just put up some new pictures at www.sailvega.wordpress.com so have a look and I hope you enjoy them as much as we did taking them.
166154_1547910864376_1433197964_31149150_3471087_n.jpg

Hi Merrily Never did ask which one you were talking about. I think they are both lovely. says he laughing.

Back