Hiking Straps

sammy sails

I just picked up a capri omega 14 today. The hiking straps didn't come with it.Does anyone know if I could use the same straps as built for the capri 14.2 ? I found the "capri 14.2 hiking straps set of 3" online and would like to know if they'll fit before I order and find out the hard way

I just picked up a capri omega 14 today. The hiking straps didn't come with it.Does anyone know if I could use the same straps as built for the capri 14.2 ? I found the "capri 14.2 hiking straps set of 3" online and would like to know if they'll fit before I order and find out the hard way
Sammy, I also sail an Omega 14 that has the one piece hiking strap. I am planning to replace mine this summer due to abrasion from sand making them very fuzzy. Looks bad but still works good. They can be made from one piece of strap about 25 feet long. The width of the strap should be correct for the stern bracket to work correctly. Each end of the straps are anchored at the front of the boat on the "floor" of the boat. Mine has a little extra on each end for adjustment. This is really important when you hike out with your tiller extension in one hand and your main sheet in the other with your but outside the rail . With both feet tucked under the straps like i do, you must have the correct tension on the strap to feel comfortable and safe. The strap is about the same as seat belt strap. Winch replacement strap is probably your best bet, due to U.V. protection. The one piece strap will slide some to give more slack on one side if you run it through only one slot on the bracket. Good luck and let us know how it goes, Charley

Great thanks Charley. I will likely buy the winch straps as you advised. Just one detailed question... Should I leave the strap as as one single unit that goes from the bow bracket, looped up and around the stern bracket, and then through to the other bow bracket? Or should I cut it in half for two separate, individual straps, both attached at each end?

Great thanks Charley. I will likely buy the winch straps as you advised. Just one detailed question... Should I leave the strap as as one single unit that goes from the bow bracket, looped up and around the stern bracket, and then through to the other bow bracket? Or should I cut it in half for two separate, individual straps, both attached at each end?
Sammy, The strap should be one piece with end anchored at the front on each side. The bracket on the transom has two slots that the strap threads through. Slack can be pulled to one side or the other for proper tensioning while hiking out. Be sure to leave plenty of slack on each end just in case. This is a trial and error adjustment so try it out while sailing before cutting the extra off. The width of the strap is only important where it threads through the rear bracket. I plan on doig mine this summer and will be watching your results. Charley

Sammy, The strap should be one piece with end anchored at the front on each side. The bracket on the transom has two slots that the strap threads through. Slack can be pulled to one side or the other for proper tensioning while hiking out. Be sure to leave plenty of slack on each end just in case. This is a trial and error adjustment so try it out while sailing before cutting the extra off. The width of the strap is only important where it threads through the rear bracket. I plan on doing mine this summer and will be watching your results. Charley

Back