Hiking Strap Shockcord

I have noticed some people thread a shockcord thru the hiking strap and back under the traveler line to the camcleat. What is the purpose of this and how does the shockcord stay down around the traveler cleat?
Thanks

It keeps the hiking strap up from the bottom of the cockpit if you have it set loose. Much easier to catch with your feet during a rapid tack.

I suppose it looks like it may interfere with the traveler line. However as long as the shock cord isn't too think, it fits down rather nicely around the edge of the camcleat. I've never had an issue with it not staying in place. It doesn't have a a lot of force in it, just enough to keep the hiking strap taut.

it makes tacking easier by keeping the strap from sagging, you don't really want to go under the traveler line because that can un-cleat the traveler, I've got it looped around the cleat through itself so that it's above the cleated line

not sure if it's approved but you can also drill a hole through the traveler cleat, I've done that to some club boats to make it easy, it works a little better than looping it

As has been said, it holds the toestrap up high so you don't miss it on a tack. Mine is threaded through the toestrap and around the cleat (under the traveller line) and it has never caused the traveller to fail. Pic is quite old and the knot is a bit better nowadays :)

Attachments

• SS100524sml.jpg
    SS100524sml.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 77

Back