Hiking Pants

Rob B

After 12 years I'm finally replacing the old pair of North hiking pants. I like the looks of the sailing angles pants, (no suspenders) and the Camet 2 Mil neoprene pants.

Anyone have any experience w/these or advice?

Qeensport, SEA (Sail Equipment Australia), and and Aquata USA all have updated hiking pants, and the first two are considered to be the best availible in the US. Queensport makes hikingpants without a strap, and if thats what you a looking for, then those are the pants to get. KO Sailing (houston) carries all three brands.

I wear Queensports myself. Burka is another option noone has metioned; they are a little thicker, and have removable battens so you can use a laundry machine, or adjust them to fit.

OK. Just got a pair of SEA "Airprene" hiking pants from KO Sailing in Houston. Seems everyone else in the US is backordered on these till the end of May. I got the last pair KO had. So, they must be good as they are in demand?

I'll get to try mine in 2 weeks. Has anyone else worn these?

I've got the Rip Curl surfing board shorts... with the ass torn out of them, obviously not made for Laser hiking. I wouldn't mind buying some of those Ronstan Skiff Shorts when I get some money.

But you gotta wear Spandex over your hiking pants so they dont get wrecked. I have no holes on mine but my spandex is getting wrecked. However spandex is much cheaper than new hiking pants. Spandex is fast too

Jackson,

dont bother getting the ronstan skiff shorts. get some hiking pants, the ronstans shorts only have a patch of neoprene on the ass so they do next to nothing to help hiking, if you want shorts, SEA do a very nice set of hiking shorts ( comes with a free distinctive tan line)

lol dude i've seen your tan like and man i hate them!!!!! i know that someone's tan line got to the extent that they had to use fake tan to even it up lol

My local dealer has a pair of gull hiking pants for a very reasonable price. I was wondering if any one owns a pair and if they could give me their thoughts on them(should i get the gulls or trade up)?

We've got two pairs of Gul's in our house, one above knee and one below knee length. Bought them on closeout from Murrays in California for about $60, last year. The quality seems equal to the SEA and Queensport brands, make sure you get the proper size, if you buy too large the pads will be too low on your leg. We've been happy with them

Has anyone had any problems wearing hiking pants under a dry suit? Does it wear through the suit faster? I hate wearing a dry suit, but I know I'm going to have to eventually if I'm going to sail my Laser all winter. -Tom

The vast majority at Cedar Point where hikers under their drysuits as needed. It doesn't cause the drysuit to wear faster.

Whats to go with the suspender variety? I have only ever used the basic short style. do the suspenders offer much benfit?

not really all that the suspender type do is that they can keep the shorts up where you want them to be..Sorta like what suspenders do..

I have some lightweight Camet pants and some heavy Queensport. The Queensport do allow me to hike harder longer than the Camets. But the Queensport are sooooo heavy that I hate carrying them around the course. Unless the wind is going to honk all day I go with the light weight pants. And when the wind looks light for sure???I go without hiking pants and just sail in shorts and a t shirt.
Our Wednesday night races are so short I have not put on hiking pants for a Wednesday night in the last three years....which makes putting the pants on for a regatta really special. After a few weeks sailing and hiking without them, good hilking pants are like sitting out on a comfy lawn chair.

What is the deal with SEA Austrailia's breathable neoprene hiking pants. Correct me if I am wrong, but they are meant for warmer weather because they breathe... so I would be colder than the regular neoprene in cold weather, right?

Rob B said:
OK. Just got a pair of SEA "Airprene" hiking pants from KO Sailing in Houston. Seems everyone else in the US is backordered on these till the end of May. I got the last pair KO had. So, they must be good as they are in demand?

I'll get to try mine in 2 weeks. Has anyone else worn these?

I have used 3 different types of hiking pants and these are by far the best I've ever worn
they are very comfortable and light so u can wear them even in long races in light wind

Latest editon of the NA "The Laser Sailor" has a decent review of a number of hikers. Not all (no Zhik, no Magic Marine for example) but what I found worthwhile in addition to what was comfy, and construction/materials was the sizing info. Nothing worse then having to send something back because the fit was wrong...

After another year of use (Frostbiting and summer sailing) I can report that the pair of Gul's that I have are starting to tear at the stiching on one leg (I like them tight, so I'm sure that's a contributing factor) , and the vinyl covering on the battens has torn in one spot (based on the number of times I have worn them, always with another pair of shorts on top I consider this tear premature).

Back