hiking pants

I have been considering buying hiking paints but need some feed back from all these great minds. I am 58 yo, working out hard at the gym this winter to get in better shape formthis summer. Are they worthnthe added support.
Thanks in advance for your input

Yes get them,it makes sailing the Laser Sailing much more enjoyable.There are a lot of good styles out there.Should actually try them on.

I sailed for years with pain in the back of my thighs from hiking on the edge of the boat. Once I started using hiking pants, it all went away. I still shudder now when I think about the rail digging into my thighs.

Bought the SEA Airprene waist-lock pants last year. No more smashing my knee caps. They work great and worth the price.

Those are the ones I am looking at. Thanks for the feed back. One more question, I sail in Mt lakes in Colorada, do they add much warmth to the body?

Those are the ones I am looking at. Thanks for the feed back. One more question, I sail in Mt lakes in Colorada, do they add much warmth to the body?

A small amount, but hikers-only are generally made with thin neoprene. They make wetsuits with integrated hiking pads.

The hikng shorts say "designed to accommodate the 4924 Performance Hiking Pads".
Looks like you would buy the pads seperately: http://gillna.com/p-501-performance-hiking-pads.aspx
I have the Gill lederhosen (worst look EVER); http://gillna.com/p-67-pro-hiking-pants.aspx, which are a terrible design. The straps constantly slip off the shoulders, so I have taken to crossing them in front of me. The buckles slip, so I had to sew the straps at the right length. The legs end below the kneee, so then shins are exposed to sunburn and knocks.
I'm hoping Ronstan wise up and stick some hiking pads in their skiff suit, which is very comfortable and offers decent protection: http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=255

Thanks for your reply very helpful. Are windward legs are very short on these colorado lakes but I just may break down and get some for the support.

Well worth it, I use Zhik microfleece skiff suit most of the time with the powerpads. They are amazing and suit most conditions. I know they are expensive but they are really worth it. If you don't feel like stumpingm then maybe buy the powerpads, or cheaper still get the Neilpryde Elite HikerPadz. You can then use the kit you have a are familiar with and it is more flexible as you can wear them with anything from a drysuit to surfing shorts. This is a good idea and what I used for a long while, still the skiff suit is better :p Hope this helps.

As some hikers use velcro to hold the pads in place, is it not possible to simply buy the pads separately and glue the opposite velcro strip into an existing wetsuit?

As some hikers use velcro to hold the pads in place, is it not possible to simply buy the pads separately and glue the opposite velcro strip into an existing wetsuit?

That's a workable solution.. In the US, we have an adhesive for glueing sneaker sole back onto the upper called Shoe Goo (and another call Shoe Goop) that work well for this, as will any wetsuit repair glue

Back