Hiking pants

monkey_feet

Arlington, TX
I was at the "No Coast" regatta a couple of weeks ago (had a great time by the way), and it was suggested to me that I look at purchasing a pair of hiking pants.

Any suggestions? I have a very old pair of North hiking pants(yes the light blue ones from the early '90's) from the old MC Scow days. I think that maybe an upgrade may be needed!

One thing, I'm in Texas and it gets wicked hot in the Summer.

Thanks in advance...

I was at the "No Coast" regatta a couple of weeks ago (had a great time by the way), and it was suggested to me that I look at purchasing a pair of hiking pants.

Any suggestions? I have a very old pair of North hiking pants(yes the light blue ones from the early '90's) from the old MC Scow days. I think that maybe an upgrade may be needed!

One thing, I'm in Texas and it gets wicked hot in the Summer.

Thanks in advance...
I just got a pair of Zhik Power Pads and, albeit pricey, they work very well. These fit under anything you usually sail in, such as a wetsuit or just swim trunks...
zhik_powerpads_L.jpg

Some 3/4 length SEA Airprenes might not be too bad.

If you don't care for your knees, you could get the ones that cut off above the knee.

I like the Magic Marine knee length ones I have. Although... I did hear that Magic Marine is pretty hard to get in the US now. My next pair are going to be Rooster. I've become very, very impressed with Rooster's gear lately.

Zhik is good stuff too.... but very pricey

I like the Magic Marine knee length ones I have. Although... I did hear that Magic Marine is pretty hard to get in the US now. My next pair are going to be Rooster. I've become very, very impressed with Rooster's gear lately.

Zhik is good stuff too.... but very pricey

I have the SEA airpreme now and are ok with the Rooster hiking boots, and I am going
rooster next time I am hooked on their stuff.

If I sailed where it was "wicked hot" I'm not sure I'd want the 3/4 length hikers, airprene or not.

If I sailed where it was "wicked hot" I'm not sure I'd want the 3/4 length hikers, airprene or not.

Then I'm sure your knees will have fun.

Is that extra 5-6 inches of neoprene going to cause you to overheat? Probably not.

Will it protect your knees, especially if you sail with one knee on the cockpit floor downwind? Yes.

It's not the covering of the knees I'd be worrying about, but the covering of the abdomen and chest.

It's not the covering of the knees I'd be worrying about, but the covering of the abdomen and chest.

As far as I know, the SEA half lengths are the exact same as the 3/4, minus the knee covering.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about hiking pants without suspenders.

Edit: I've worn my SEA neoprene 3/4 in Florida, Ontario in Augaust and I've never had a problem. I guess it's a personal preference call.

Then I'm sure your knees will have fun.

Is that extra 5-6 inches of neoprene going to cause you to overheat? Probably not.

Will it protect your knees, especially if you sail with one knee on the cockpit floor downwind? Yes.

I have 2 pairs of hiking pants... some 3/4 length and the others knee length. I switched to the shorter ones the 2nd day of my regatta this weekend do to "aroma issues" and absolutely destroyed my knees downwind. In any kinda breeze 3/4 length is the way to go.

I think Rooster do some neoprene shorts that their pads from the Pro Hikes fit in. They are like wetsuit shorts but with pads!

I have the Zhik pants and power/pads and power booties. In medium air and flat sea everything works really well. The knee coverage on the pants is great and the waist lock velcro keeps them from sliding down at all. However, you can't wear the typical spandex underneath and cotton jockey's would probably cause a little bottom rash after a long day so I go comando in the pants.

After a long 3 day regatta in lumpy seas and breeze my power pads did slip down to just above my knees and I had to pull them back up between races. Also, the velcro support straps on my power booties would slide up over the top of the boot during the races which required readjustments between races.

All in all I love the pants, both the medium thickness and the super light weight summer pant for the fit, feel, full coverage and knee pads. I'm on the fence with the power pads as the neoprene holders have stretched causing the "slippage", (I think I'll e-mail Mike and see if there is a fix. They offer great customer support) and the booties, (these are the lightweight ones with the threaded line down the side and velcro ankle strap support) have been perfect up until my last regatta. So, I'm wondering if they are the best fit for the heavier breeze stuff.

A buddy showed me his rooster 3/4 super warm pants with the "adjustable" hiking pads that velcro to the inside of the pant and are curved to fit your leg. I have to say that system looked great! There's no way those pads will slip and you can place them in the pant where you want them to hit you on the leg. I'm not a big fan of shoulder straps, but if the pads don't stay put whats the point of having them? I understand Rooster is running a big sale for online purchases now.

Rob, you are two for two of people I know sailing with the power pads who mention that they slip down after some time sailing.

Rob, you are two for two of people I know sailing with the power pads who mention that they slip down after some time sailing.

Interesting. I guess they are so new to the market it will take some time for people to get experience with them. Also, they are expensive, (top of the price range in the hikers market) so that will decrease the demographic more. It will be interesting to see the overall reception of them over time as more make it to the market.

I'm leaning toward the Zhik, but APS doesn't make it real clear as to what ones to get.

ZHH300Zhik PowerPads Sets (Pair)Price: $119.00 ZHH501SZhikSkin Short Power Pad HikersPrice: $193.00ZHH501PZhikSkin Pant Power Pad HikersPrice: $253.00 ZHH50134ZhikSkin 3/4 Power Pad HikersPrice: $263.00 - $299.00ZHH501WSKZhikSkin Skiff Power Pad Hikers Women'sPrice: $323.00 ZHH501MSKZhikSkin Skiff Power Pad Hikers Men'sPrice: $323.00

Do I need to get the ZHH300? I sure hop so. These suckers are expensive!

I had the same problem and sent them back. The power pads suck. I'll stick with the SEA 3/4 airprene. If it ain't broke, don't fixi it.

Back