Hiking pants which ones?

L

LarsenCanvas

I'm looking for some hiking pants. I would like to only buy one pair and I would like them to work in warm or cold weather, with a shorty, with a full weatsuit, or drysuit. So I'm kind of looking for something that can be worn over my wetsuit, or shorter, or just swim trunks. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of hiking pants might work? Or should I buy just one of the farm john type of hiking pants that only come down to a little below the knee. What does everyone like to use.

First, don't expect a pair to work in all conditions. That's just not practical.

That said, the hiking pants that I wear in the widest range of conditions are my SEA 3/4 length Airprene. Tremendous. I can wear a thin insulating layer under them (SEA Metalite pants), and they're good for chilly conditions (air/water in the 60's). Great during the summer for all but the most windless, broiling days. I suppose you could wear them under a drysuit, too.

I would go for the SEA's. I personally have the Magic Marine hiking pants but am going to get SEA's next time i go for a new pair.

it might also help to use the search button.

I second what 158689 said, I have the same setup. I would not recommend wearing them with any additional wetsuit over .5mm thick - you end up to restricted in movement..

In the cold winter (air/water 40/40 or lower) I've been wearing either fleece over the hikers or some insulated bike tights under them, and then capping it off with a drysuit. No problem staying warm.

I had a pair of Gul hikers, short style above the knee - For me (old fart type) I like the knee padding of the 3/4 length, if I my kness weren't so sensitive to pain when kneeling on them, I would continue with the above knee design, they give you more freedom of movement.

No comparsion in quality between the Gul and SEA brands - SEA is hands down better

There was also a review of a number of hikers in the The Laser Sailor a couple of issues ago - that issue may be available on the old NA Class website (for whatever reason, the class has not moved them to the new website)

because of this very reason, our shop is now an SEA dealer (only one on the West Coast).

We've got a bit of gear in stock, and more will be on the way shortly. (shameless plug, I know, but I'm excited about carrying the stuff for NW sailors)

go for the rooster ones i know that they are new for u guys over there but we pretty much all use them over here cos there just as good and slightly lighter on the pocket...

rock steady said:
I got some ZHIK hikers. I broke the the battens after about 5 sails, so I'm not real happy with them.

S*#& happens, what really matters is if the company stood by their product and replaced it so that you are happy now ?

Hey Guys
In the very early stages of Zhik’s release of the hiking pants it replaced all battens it was aware of with new sets because of faulty fibgreglass supply.
Nobody is breaking battens anymore. They are now made from a super strong exotic fiberglass and are unbreakable.

I have been using zhik hikers since they came out and have used other hikers before hand. Truthfully they are the most comfortable and durable pair of hikers I have ever worn. I sail 3 to 4 days a week.

Hope this is of assistance.
Cheers
Salty;)

Personally, I used SEA hiking pant and it feels pretty comfortable. I like Magic Marine design.. the new one with the bright orangle outlining here and there. But the cutting doesn't suit me cos I feel it is more meant for tall and slim figured person...

mee168 said:
But the cutting doesn't suit me cos I feel it is more meant for tall and slim figured person...

Yeah, that said, which ones are better for the feminine figure? I tried on a bunch of pairs and bought one at Tackleshack last year, but they are still too big in the waist. That is the problem, if they fit the hips, they are way too for the middle.

Merrily said:
Yeah, that said, which ones are better for the feminine figure? I tried on a bunch of pairs and bought one at Tackleshack last year, but they are still too big in the waist. That is the problem, if they fit the hips, they are way too for the middle.

If you are the handy sewing type, slice and dice and then glue and stitch. If not, find a dive shop that will put them back together after you have done the tailoring.

Merrily you raise a really interesting point about hikers. The Roosters I wear are the smallest adult size possible, but i have long legs and a small waist so even though they are 3/4 length they barely cover my knees - I think sailing clothing manufacturers possibly need to consider hikers designed for a female figure. (Correct me if I am wrong and someone already does?)

Sarah B said:
Merrily you raise a really interesting point about hikers. The Roosters I wear are the smallest adult size possible, but i have long legs and a small waist so even though they are 3/4 length they barely cover my knees - I think sailing clothing manufacturers possibly need to consider hikers designed for a female figure. (Correct me if I am wrong and someone already does?)

It must be a real hassle having long legs and a small waste!

49208 said:
S*#& happens, what really matters is if the company stood by their product and replaced it so that you are happy now ?

OK - I contacted ZHIK with the problem of batten breakage and they responded immediatley. They sent me out a new set of improved battens that fit straight in to my hikers. Good service ZHIK. thanks.:)

I've got both pairs of the SEA pants. The 3/4 length neoprene and the "above the knee" airprene. I love them both. It will be hard to decide when to switch to the airprene cause I like the knee pads on the 3/4 length pants.

I think I will consider getting a 3/4 length one next time. I realise especially in downwind when one of your legs is kneeing, it really needs some 'cushions'. I have bruises the other time due to prolonged kneeing and accidental knocks against the side of the cockpit.... Ouch!!!!

mee168 said:
I think I will consider getting a 3/4 length one next time. I realise especially in downwind when one of your legs is kneeing, it really needs some 'cushions'. I have bruises the other time due to prolonged kneeing and accidental knocks against the side of the cockpit.... Ouch!!!!

They are really good for that.

TimClark said:
Can I use the basic 3mm neoprene hiking pants in the summer or will they get too hot?

Tim

In CT you will probably be OK with 3mm in the summer time. In fact, I find hiking pants and a spray top a good alternative to a wetsuit on those late spring/early fall days when you're not too sure if you need a full wetsuit. In TX I have found 3mm to be too much in the summer.

I just got a pair of SEA, and though I haven't sailed with them yet I like them very much. Find a good pair of hiking pants has been a problem as lot late since I'm a bit short for my weight (5' 6", 150 lbs., 33" waist).

I've sailed with a 2mm Camet pair for several years. These fit better when I was more height/weight proportionate, but have become tight as of late. I've had to sew them up a couple times, but generally they've been OK. However the battens are now coming out, so it's time for a new pair.

I bought a pair from Sailing Angles that I didn't like. I had to go with a larger size than I wanted to fit my rear. They were designed for a taller person, so the battens ride down below my knees. I can pull them up a little, but you know how hiking pants always work their way back down your legs. I'm not too impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship.

With the SEA pair, I went with a small. I bought neoprene over airprene. The airprene sounds appealing, but the neoprene was only $115. The materials and workmanship look very good. They are a bit snug but bearable. If I cut back on the Dr. Pepper and Shiner Bock and lose about 5 lb., they should fit very well.

Alright thanks, I'll just get knee height ones and take a jump into the drink if I start overheating. Thanks.

Tim

This message is specially for TimClark...

We are having summer 'forever' over here and I am using the SEA half leg hiking pant... not too sure of the neoprene thickness.. think it is about 3mm. And just wanna tell you that I am doing fine with the weather in it!!! If you are hot, just go for a dip in the water... Water should be cool in summer...

I have the SEA airprene 3/4. They've been ok, there is a couple of places I think that they could be improved on:

Knee pad gripping material wears out way too fast and you are then stuck with slippery black knee pads

I wish there was more pre-cut shapping behind the knees, since your knees are bent most of the time I find that the suit wrinkles up behind the knee. (would love to cut out about 1" behind the knee and have it sewn up

While they fit snuggly in the store I would suggest going down a size, seems to loosen up when wet and through wearing in one season

Suspender rings need to be thought out better, although they are rectangular and horizontal, they tend to go vertically when wearing after about 10min.

The seat material tends to wear a bit too fast for me

Battens would have been better if located about 1/2"-1" higher for those semi hike out winds

Upon seeing the Roosters I would probably buy those next time around for these reasons. Quality of the construction (SEA) is very good. Having the airprene is great in hot weather, and sail with it into mid October on Lake Ontario which can be chilly

Back