hiking boots and gloves.

You're interested in Frostbite class racing?

I don't see how you could swim in hiking boots, sounds like a express trip to Davey Jones Locker.

Any of the hiking boots are OK. I like the Rooster boots available from Intensity Sails. They grip well, don’t pick up much sand or stone, and they are inexpensive. They have a 3 mil neoprene inner sock for extra padding so you have to buy them a size larger than normal.

Most of the time, I just wear (cheap!) watershoes because I have to jump in the water at the launching ramp. When I expect strong winds for hours, I will put on my hiking boots to save my feet and lower legs from blistering. The boots I have are from Ronstan, but discontinued, I think. Zhik makes nice, but expensive, boots. Therefore, Bill's recommendation looks good to me.

I sail often enough that I don't need gloves. A good thing, because I tend to loose them. But if you want to get further ideas about boots and gloves, Sailing Anarchy has a "Gear" section where people go on (almost) endlessly about these issues.

Thanks for all you help guys. also Im wondering about sizes. Im a US size 10.5 mens(shoes). what size should i get in the boots? Do they run big or small?

I tried using my sailing gloves, but the Sunfish isn't enough of a boat for me to need them.

-Erik

You don't need either. They just make it harder to swim. You don't want these.

Get yourself a good hiking strap and you won't need boots unless the bottom is rocky where you are. I use Croc's for my feet and take them off once I'm in the boat.

If your mainsheet is so thin you need gloves, then the solution is to pick thicker line.

You can use thick line and strip off the cover for the last 15' so it runs through your blocks more easily. Or you can upgrade your blocks to larger sizes--that is what I do.

For racing, with the crappy blocks allowed by the class, I'd chose the strip the cover method.

As mentioned above, I have a somewhat different view on this topic than NightSailor.

Hiking boots or gloves don't interfere with swimming.

I assumed that AJC's boat had a hiking strap.

I sometimes wear Crocs, convenient, but not very good for hiking. Now there is hiking and then there is serious hiking. Like in 1+ hour races in big breeze. 20 minute upwind legs, hiking full time in big waves with water splashing over. My feet don't have callous on top and got blistered from the not so soft hiking strap. Salt water, lots of sun, and more races the next day (and the next). Bandages washing off in no time. It wasn't pretty :(.

I learned my lesson; in those conditions, I will wear hiking boots. But on a casual sail in 5-15 mph, my Crocs or water shoes will do just fine.

I don't wear gloves. The line I have is really soft and well broke in. It's always been stored inside so it doesn't get dirty or tough. I'm also good at using the hook for leverage.
My muscles actually get tired before my skin does. :D

I wear those velcro type sandals. I have a minifish and the hiking strap goes across the cockpit rather than length wise like on a sunfish. So the strap gets stretched over where my sandals touch my feet and rub on them rather than my feet.

In my experiences in collegiate sailing I've seen a lot of boots, because they are a must in 420/FJs. Most of the top sailing companies (Gill, Zhik, Ronstan, MagicMarine, Slam, etc.) make a neoprene boot. I've found that the Gill boots last the longest, and are better priced than most of the others. I've also found them to be auite confortable.

For gloves, don't get carried away. You can spend $25-50 on a single pair of gloves and if you sail hard they will be worn out in a year. I have found that Atlas gardening glove, which where popularized by Olympic sailors like Amanda Clark work amazingly. I use the 300s in black and grey, but there are several other options. If you buy them outside of a sailing websight you can get a pair for around $3 or a case for what a sigle pair of a "real" sailing glove would cost. They are great beceause you can cut the finger tips off if you like, and they keep you warm in mild cold (There is also a warmer version, but I've never used them), yet cool in the summer. A $3 pair of these lasts me just as long as other gloves.

As far as making the desition on weather or not to wear them:

I find the sunfish to be a very nice boat on the feet. Unlike some other boats you dont need to wear them while sailing if you have a soft hiking strap. However, I recommend taking a pair with you for launching and loading. You never know when you will have to walk on a nasty bottom. For Charleston that means Oyster shells, which don't get along with feet too well.

I try not to where gloves and build caluses whenever possible, but during long regattas, or when the wind picks up I put them on to prevent myself from developing problems. Once you cut up and blister your hands you can't go back, so carry gloves with you and be proactive.

As far as swimming:

We are talking about sailing not swimming, so stay in the boat when you have your boots on. If you flip, any swimming you have to do won't be far, any it is really not a big deal at all. I don't really feel that inhibited, especially with a PDF on.

Back