Hikers?

moray_clark

hey guys
im considering buy a new pair of hikers and am really swithering over which ones to get.
i currently have a pair of the Zhik ones 3/4 cut and an very old pair of 3/4 queensports
as i live in scotland it can be cold when sailing all year round so i have come up with either the Zhik hikers - full leg ones, the SEA full leg waist lock ones or the queensport 3/4 spider ones.

any views opinions and experiences of any of these would be greatly appreciated

thanks

If at all posible, try them on. The fit is quite important; if the battens etc. don't fit your physique, you will have waisted a considerable number of pounds.

I got wicked tired of my SEA 3/4's, the material behind the knees was just too thick and my legs would go numb downwind. I now use the Zhik, and it's much better. I think they are also a bit warmer as they are not areoprene

There's also the Rooster shintech that might be worth considering - the same pads for the hikers fit in and attach in the same way as in the hikers so you can choose the pad size and where to position them all in a long john. Also as they are not fixed if you sail anything else that doesn't need the pads you can just leave them out.

yea i have the zhik 3/4 and i love them, which sort of points me towards the Zhik
but does anyone have experience of the full length zhik and SEA hikers?
thanks sailorchick i have looked into the rooster ones and they are definetly an option so far

any more opinions anyone?
thanks

Hey, I bought the full length zhik hikers waist strap ones. They're pretty great, but a little hot when it gets bright and light. They work out nicely even in Hawaii, and on the really windy days (30-40) and squalling; they really excel. The only thing I don't like is if you wear them with the zhik boots and straps, then when you get wet all the water balloons up at your ankles inside the suit above the boots. They should be good for scotland cold water, but don't expect them to keep you alot warmer than your 3/4s. The 3/4's and full length ones probably come out about the same on warmth, b/c the 3/4's have the entire back covered in neoprene.. right? Dunno, the full's I have are toasty, but you might want to try the same model in SEA. Those are designed for winter..
Dylan

yer thanks 0dylan

i have also have seen the gul hike john and the full length 5mm hikers. they look like a decent alternative
and opinions anyone?
thanks to everyone who has commented so far

magic marine 3/4 overalls are great, the battens are a bit long, but i find that they work great!

hope you find whats right for you,
Ian

SAILING SEASON IS OVER, I'M SO BORED!

oops, I just read my message, and I realized how badly I had written it!

SAILING SEASON IS OVER FOR TWO MINUTES MORE, I'M EVEN MORE BORED (if thats possible)

I have recently bought the Rooster pro hikers. They have 3 sizes of adjustable battens in them so you can position them perfectly (then mark where they god as they are held in place with velcro). Good knee support too and knee pads. They are a bit pricey compared to others on the market but definitely worth it.

My legs no longer ache after a hard days hiking.

i have a pair of zhiks but havent enjoyed them as i made the mistake of buying a size to big so they slip around. has anyone sailed with magic marines and roosters. whats your verdict between these two because im sailing radial europeans in france and need a decent pair of hikers

Actually, in regards to the last poster, I bought a pair of zhiks too big too. I got mediums but I'm probably better off with a small. One thing to note is that while they may fit great at first; maybe a little tight, they WILL get a lot bigger as it goes on. The water really expands them. The one indicator that stays the same with the pants is the waistline. When you (if you) get a pair, note the velcro adjusters on the waist. If these fit, they you're golden. Mine are too loose. Additionally,if you get them with the zhik 50s, or any boots with ankle straps, note that the full length zhiks will balloon up at the bottom after a capsize.

I bought my SEA 3/4's from Andy at tackleshack. Paid 170? but had em there at the OB. Not a great guy to do business with...

But yeah, I LOVE my hikers. Very warm, great knee protection. Only thing I dont like is the HUGE waistband (strapless).

I have the rooster pro hikers which I love. You do need to buy them small enough that they are hard to put on as they stretch when wet. Its great being able to choose the size of the battens to go in too. Both me and my boyfriend wear the same size but as he is taller he has bigger battens.

Rooster Hikers

I was aiming to enter the wonderful world of hikers with the RoosterPro stuff. I was surprised when Rooster suggested I need the small hikers with medium pads. How dare they suggest I'm small. Reading the thread I'm beginning to come to terms with being small in the shorts - as it were :\
I'm 1 metre 83 and 68 kilo's. How tall and heavy are you happy Rooster wearers, and which size combination did you end up with?

Thanks already, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I am 1m 85 and 85 kg, I have the medium hikers with the medium pads. They are great and fit just nicely between the bottom of my rear and the back of my knee. Takes a bit of time getting used to them though and I had to lengthen my toe straps significantly to regain a good hiking posture.

Now I would not sail without them except on a very light day when hiking was not required.

Thanks Paul,
Sounds like the sizing advice from Rooster is good, and at 68 kgs anything that gets me lengthening the straps will be a good thing. It's going to be the Rooster Pro's for me then.
Andrew

*Alert lol.:eek:

Zhik just released volume 5. Go to their site and check out the powerpads,they're supposed to be revolutionary.

Just thought I'd tell you about them before you bought the rooster pros.

I'm trying to decide between the Magic Marine Energy or Competitive with knees. Any advice?

Also, the mediums seem more comfortable, but the smalls will fit me snugly. Do these also stretch like the Zhiks? I'm 6' (183 cm) and 130 lbs (60 kg). I'd love any feedback.

I followed Jeffers advice [see above] and went for the Rooster HikerPro's. I'm 1 meter 83 and 68 kg.
I have the small shorts with medium pads. A perfect fit. Tight to get on but the neoprene is looser when wet. I'd have been swimming in the mediums.
The hikers are really great. Make such a difference specially if your 'too light' like me.
Thanks to all for advice, Andrew

thanks for the advice, i have been asking around and looking around, SEA is out, queensports a maybe, Zhik microfleece skiff almost certainly, GUL full length 3mm hikers?
andbody have any ecperience of the new GUL ones?

Back