Hi, just got a Super Porpoise

Update on those cockpit drains. I now know why they are in two pieces, sleeved together. There is a lot of flex in the cockpit floor and the movement makes it impossible for the one-piece rigid tubes in my boat to remain sealed at both ends. I'm either going to open it up, cut out the middle of the rigid tubes and put flexible tubing between the cockpit ends and the hull ends, or replicate the tubes-into-the-cups setup, or just live with it and drain the water after every sail. (Most likely).

IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg
IMG_1208.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg
Wow, this is a great looking boat! I actually am in the process of buying an old super porpoise too. I had a question for you about your boat especially since it's original. The guy that I'm buying the boat from has two sails. I'm not sure which one belongs to the boat as one is much larger than the other. I was wondering what the dimensions of your sail are? I know i could calculate the size of the sail by area but if you could add some insight that would be great! thank you!

Slightly different question: I am in the process of restoring a Super Porpoise. While I am at it, I would like to replace the 'rub rail' (the piece of white molding that covers the joint between the hull bottom and top pieces) but cannot find any supplier. Earlier in this thread, there was something about JC Whitney perhaps being a source, but I cannot locate anything on their site that is suitable. Any ideas are appreciated.

Slightly different question: I am in the process of restoring a Super Porpoise. While I am at it, I would like to replace the 'rub rail' (the piece of white molding that covers the joint between the hull bottom and top pieces) but cannot find any supplier. Earlier in this thread, there was something about JC Whitney perhaps being a source, but I cannot locate anything on their site that is suitable. Any ideas are appreciated.
From long-time searches of the Internet for different "stuff", I know that there's something very suitable "out there". It's likely to be pricey! :eek:

Check with West Marine for dinghy gunwale molding, but do Google searches using the exact words describing suitable molding. It's sometimes faster to use Google's "Image" function.

The Porpoise' top and bottom seam-line is solidly put together, so a replacement molding needs only to be cosmetic. (Though it also helps to have the molding function like the original rubber "fender").

Alternatively, here's "slide-out molding" for an RV. When the correct size is located, it can be sliced along the flat bottom and glued to fit:

Fullscreen capture 10102019 84219 PM.bmp.jpg

Wow, this is a great looking boat! I actually am in the process of buying an old super porpoise too. I had a question for you about your boat especially since it's original. The guy that I'm buying the boat from has two sails. I'm not sure which one belongs to the boat as one is much larger than the other. I was wondering what the dimensions of your sail are? I know i could calculate the size of the sail by area but if you could add some insight that would be great! thank you!
Answered earlier, this should help:
Super Porpoise Newbie

Would something like this work?
If you search you can also find the door trim in different colors.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Still searching for the right type of trim - but appreciate all the inputs. New question this morning (the boat refurb continues!)

I am trying to replace all the deck hardware on the Super Porpoise. Most is easily found, but I am stumped. This should be simple, but....

I can't figure out the name of the attached part - so I cannot search the internet for a replacement. Please help!

IMG_6285.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG

Was the bow handle compromised in some way?

My Porpoise's bow handle was attached with bolts. There was no way to install a new one. If you're going to replace it anyway, I'll buy it from you. :)

As for the roller fairlead, a Sunfish fairlead with a stainless insert is an inexpensive and strong substitute.

Actually, the bow handle is one of the very few items I'm not replacing. Mine was also attached with bolts, but I have been able to salvage it. I don't know if they'll work for you, but you might be able to make stainless blind jack nuts work - or even rivnuts.

I thought it was a roller fairlead, but couldn't find any like it online. Maybe you've got the right answer. Thanks!

I'm late to the thread, but I just purchased a used Super Porpoise and was hoping that the original poster might still be available and willing to send me copies of the literature scans that he mentioned.

Back