Hi All! A few questions if you don't mind . . .

MrOctober

Newbie here . .

My wife and I have a 23' Motorhome and have had a ball this year travelling all over the Mid-Atlantic region. I am SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a small sailboat to trailer with us. Most of the places we go have either a lake or are otherwise near the water and I wouldn't mind an alternative activity to hiking, sightseeing etc.

I am not new to the water. I grew up boating (mostly powerboating) and until last year we had an 18' boat. (Before the motorhome and since sold.) I also did SOME sailing growing up though due to weird circumstances I had sort of a bad taste of it when I was growing up . . . but I am definitely interested in re-learning to sail.

That said, I'm not going to jump in without any research and maybe not even until spring (perhaps a rental or two this year). But the boats that have piqued my interest include the Sunfish (obviously), the Hobie Bravo, and the Pico. I sorta prefer the Sunfish over the Pico though those low-maintenance Rotomolded hulls are pretty appealing.

I REALLY like the looks of the Hobie Bravo but carrying that 19' Mast seems a little daunting. I don't really want a bigger trailer then I need and it looks like the Lateen rig of the Sunny really shrinks down over all mast/boom length. I can't really see specs for mast length or the length of the remainder of the Lateen rigging on the Vanguard site . . . so how long is it anyway? From looking at the pics of trailers it seems like the whole thing could be made pretty short and compact and easily trailerable.

So I know this is a Sunfish forum but I'm betting folks here have sailed lots of different boats. What are everyone's thoughts on Sunfish vs. Bravo vs. Pico? Rotomolded vs. Fiberglass?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pete

BTW . . I just spent some time looking through some of the trailering threads and see that the mast-carrying issue on the 'fish is NOT a problem.

Pete

I would look for a sailing class that you and your wife could take that uses the sunfish that way you can get some time in one and see how you like it. then you can try to get some rides or do some rentals on the other types of boats like you said so you'll have first hand knowledge to make your choice. I agree with you about the rotomolded boats looking good from a low maintenance stand point

I would look for a sailing class that you and your wife could take that uses the sunfish that way you can get some time in one and see how you like it. then you can try to get some rides or do some rentals on the other types of boats like you said so you'll have first hand knowledge to make your choice. I agree with you about the rotomolded boats looking good from a low maintenance stand point

Thanks! The class is a good idea if I can find one. It seems all the classes on Sunfish-type boats around here are for kids and have an age limit. (Does it count if you are 5 at heart?)

Thanks! The class is a good idea if I can find one. It seems all the classes on Sunfish-type boats around here are for kids and have an age limit. (Does it count if you are 5 at heart?)

Back