Hey Guys, New here

Saturnv7890

Hey guys.
I am 14 and am a Sea Scout, a junior instructor at a sailing camp, a member of my school's sailing race team, and a member of US sailing. I mostly race 420's (420 cm long, nice racing boats) and lasers. I pretty much race all around shoreline connecticut, and sometimes other states. I also have a remote control sailboat (within my huge collection of remote control vehicles) Ages ago my dad and I helped someone out by fixing up a very sad looking sunfish for the summer. We repainted the deck, restored the gel coat, put on a bunch of new blocks and misc stuff, re-varnished the blades, cleaned up the aluminum parts, and made everything look really nice. For the remaining half of the summer, my dad taught me how to sail on a nearby lake. I fell in love with the boat it's wonderful simplicity. At the end of the summer we had to give it back, but it was an amazing experience. After years of searching and dreaming, and gaining skill with all my sailing clubs and stuff, I finally found the perfect boat, at a perfect price. It's a '76 sunfish with a blue bottom, stripes, and blue and white sail. It was in excellent condition with no holes, no tears in the sail, just perfect. All of this only set me back 300 dollars. Next to nothing! So i took it home just last week, and used some spar varnish to fix up the blades. I also cleaned up a bunch of other stuff. Now it looks as if it were new. This weekend i'll bring her out for her maiden voyage (with me, anyway). It so exciting to finally have my own sunfish. I hope i can further my knowledge while here. :)

The forums just really slow this time of year, itll start speeding up soon since it is becoming sailing season, Happy sailing

"...This weekend i'll bring her out for her maiden voyage (with me, anyway). It so exciting to finally have my own sunfish. I hope i can further my knowledge while here..." :)
You posted in April? Maybe your Connecticut water is a comfortable temperature in April, but don't expect to see many other Sunfish out there! ;)

And yes, Welcome! :D

Hey guys.
I am 14 and am a Sea Scout, a junior instructor at a sailing camp, a member of my school's sailing race team, and a member of US sailing. I mostly race 420's (420 cm long, nice racing boats) and lasers. I pretty much race all around shoreline connecticut, and sometimes other states.
Ages ago my dad and I helped someone out by fixing up a very sad looking sunfish for the summer.
After years of searching and dreaming, and gaining skill with all my sailing clubs and stuff, I finally found the perfect boat, at a perfect price.
All of this only set me back 300 dollars. Next to nothing!
This weekend i'll bring her out for her maiden voyage (with me, anyway).

It must be nice to have gained so much experience at such a young age. I to remember how time is relevent to the person.
I got my Sunfish "ages ago". I got her in 1967 and she is a 1965. So I have been sailing her 40 years now.
I ,too, have been searching for another Sunfish to replace this one, but not for "years", just 3 years or so.
I put mine in Little Sodus Bay at Fair Haven State Park on Monday, June 11th.
The posted water temp was 56 degrees, plenty cold for me. The wind was from the NE, coming over Lake Onterio. Where I have my skid at our camp I have a "window" of about 10 feet to come into shore. As we are in deep water I have to slide off the boat before I reach the seawall. I have not found a way for point into the wind in such a small space when I have to run into the shore. (We are on the East side, much better to have a true N or S wind and I can reach in and release the sail without trying to round up into the wind.) That 56 degrees is a shock to this sailors old system, and to make matters worse, as I was half off the boat on the weather side I noticed the sheet had hooked the leg of my boat hoist (on my lee side) and was in effect trimming the sail in. I usually try to slip off in waist deep water, but this time I departed into chest deep water. Thinking about it now, maybe ramming the seawall would have been a better idea. Maybe I should have put the boat in in April, as I might not have gotten so cold. I could have just slid it down the bay on the ice!! :)

Back