Hey everybody :)

regularman

I haven't been on here in months. Ed, I like the new look of this place. I have been so busy lately with other things that I haven't had much time for the internet. I hope everyone is doing well. I hope warm weather gets here soon so I can go catch some wind. ;) Any new gadgets for the boat that anybody has heard of ?

It’s good to hear from you. I've been in the same boat, so to speak. I started working on some repairs during the fall, and putting on some new toys, such as swim ladder. However, the more problems I fixed, the more I found that needed to be address. The whole project took on a life of its own. I finally got into the home stretch, but then it got too cold to put on the epoxy for the last repairs and the topcoat. I hope that it will warm up soon so that I can finish up and finally be ready for another season of sailing. Come on global warming…. (joke)

Dave

It's good to hear from BOTH of you - two of the top contributors of both ideas and help to members of this website.

I think a lot of folks are just hibernating over the winter.

Well, my hibernation is gonna be over soon. I am looking forward to a week of vacation I have planned for the first full week of april up at Smith mountain lake in Virginia :) I plan to sail everyday if I can. Hope we get some good winds then. I love daysailing on my boat. It seems to be the perfect size for us, easy to get in and out of the water and easy to tow. The last time we sailed was in late October on lake Keowee in SC. The winds were 17-20 knots according to the readout at my friends sailing club. We sailed on just a reefed main most of the day and it was a lot of fun. I was suprised how many people with bigger boats were afraid to take them out due to the wind. They were surprised to see us put in and take off. I think we shamed some of those bigger boat skippers into getting out on the lake, once they saw us out there :D We were a bit nervous with the wind, but once we got our confidence up a bit. It was just fine. I only used the jib when sailing downwind as the main was more than enough to deal with going upwind.

Dave Lilley said:
Have fun sailing. :)
Thanks, I hope its a good week. I would recon you can sail all year long in the San Antonio area. Though when I was there (basic training) we had 13.5 inches of snow
:D

Wow! I've been here going on six years and it hasn't snowed yet, but I have seen the pictures of past snow storms.

About a decade and a half ago I went through basic here, during the hotest part of summer. It was so hot that we could only practice marching at night.

You can sail all year here, if you don't mind a little 30-40 degree cold weather. This year, a local club had the "Muy Frio" regatta. I believe the temp was in the low 60's. However, while I like the water, and I don't mind the cold, when you put the two together, I don't like it at all. Even if it were a warmer day, I still haven't finished working on my boat. However, this weekend is supposed to be nice with warm temperatures, so I should finally be able to finish.

Dave Lilley said:
Wow! I've been here going on six years and it hasn't snowed yet, but I have seen the pictures of past snow storms.

About a decade and a half ago I went through basic here, during the hotest part of summer. It was so hot that we could only practice marching at night.

You can sail all year here, if you don't mind a little 30-40 degree cold weather. This year, a local club had the "Muy Frio" regatta. I believe the temp was in the low 60's. However, while I like the water, and I don't mind the cold, when you put the two together, I don't like it at all. Even if it were a warmer day, I still haven't finished working on my boat. However, this weekend is supposed to be nice with warm temperatures, so I should finally be able to finish.
Yeah, it was the first snow in 100 years and the biggest snow ever. It was on the day we were supposed to go into the town of San Antonio and see the Alamo and stuff. We never left the base :( I would like to see that place sometime. I went in basic on Nov 30, 1984 and spent Christmas and New years in basic, It was not much fun.

Well, with the exception of Christmas day, I hope it doesn't do that again. That is the main reason I wanted to move back to the south. (I hate snow.) Actually, I don't mind looking at it, and I didn't mind a snow day or two, but I hate driving in it, shoveling it, scraping it off my car, scraping it off the dog after letting him out to do his business, getting stuck in it, trudging through it, getting it in my shoes, eyes, and ears, watching it turn to brown slush that sticks to everything... ;)

Unregistered said:
Well, with the exception of Christmas day, I hope it doesn't do that again. That is the main reason I wanted to move back to the south. (I hate snow.) Actually, I don't mind looking at it, and I didn't mind a snow day or two, but I hate driving in it, shoveling it, scraping it off my car, scraping it off the dog after letting him out to do his business, getting stuck in it, trudging through it, getting it in my shoes, eyes, and ears, watching it turn to brown slush that sticks to everything... ;)

...oops...forgot to login in.

Dave

Glad I still remembered my login

Hey there regularman, my last post was last MAY!!! Yikes. It suddenly got very busy for us then and the last thing I had on my mind was sailing, though every sunny, windy day I would mope a bit. Certain distractions are behind us now, so I am soooo looking forward to spring here in the North Woods. Still ice on the lakes up here (which, of course, explains our boat's name -- Ice Out), but it is in the 50s and sunny at the moment and there's a hosta on the sunny side of the house that has showed a bit of itself. Hey, don't look over there at the 3-foot snowbank, it's just an illusion of winter, lol. Was just in N.C. at in-laws, but in golfing, not sailing, territory. Oh well. Soon, soon, I can get back to boat chores and maybe even get it in the water this year.

And I agree, I am impressed by the improvements to the forum and the site.

Well, I have to get all packed up this weekend because I am leaving out Sunday night for a week at the lake. They are calling for some days of mid 60s to mid 70s so I hope that holds true. I'm ready for it.

Are you bringing a camera? For those of us who won't be sailing soon, some pretty pictures and a good story would be nice. ;) Have fun!

Dave

Fair winds, Kim. How many reefs do you put in for those southern twisters? :p Anyway, have fun and I'm looking forward to a story or two when you get back.

Mixed Blessing

I went online to find parts for my Capri 14.2 and found this forum. I'm surprised and pleased to find folks with a similar passion.

I thought my sons were ready to use my boat without me but I was wrong. They capsized and were having trouble turning the boat over. Some powerboater came to their rescue and helped them out. I'm extremely grateful they rescued my sons however, in the process they ruined my mast--snapped it actually. :eek:

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a new mast? I'm so bummed out about not being able to take advantage of the beautiful Texas spring sailing weather.

I also read about a C 14.2 manual or guide recently produced. How can I get one of those? I learned to sail as a Boy Scout and had a little Sunfish as a teenager but I'm not sure I really know how to rig my Capri properly.

I love sailing it and am anxious to get back underway.

You can get a mast directly from Catalina. There may be used masts out there, but other than E-Bay, I don't know where you would find one, unless somebody here has one. I would post a want ad in the classifieds section.

By the way, where in Texas are you sailing?

Dave

New mast

You can order a new mast from Catalina. (818-884-7700, ask for Parts. Be sitting down when you ask the price, esp. when you factor in shipping.)

Need a Capri 14.2 Manual? If you go to the home page of this site, look on the left side of the page and click on "Manual" for ordering info.

Thanks for the replies!

I'll call and get a price for a new mast. My sons are going to help pay for it.

We live very close to Grapevine Lake, near the DFW Airport, and that's where we have been sailing.

Jeff said:
Fair winds, Kim. How many reefs do you put in for those southern twisters? :p Anyway, have fun and I'm looking forward to a story or two when you get back.
Well, I'm back from the lake now. Like all vacations, it was too short. We arrived Sunday night and wer going to sail Monday but the winds were high 25+ and gusting and the water was in the mid 50s so we didn't get on the water that day. Tuesday was beutiful and we sailed 25nm according to the gps, Wednesday was even warmer but the winds were gusting again but not as bad so we sailed under a reefed main only and still had plenty of speed for us (3-6 knots). Thursday it was cold and rainy and stormy, so no sailing. Friday was beautiful again and we sailed quite a few miles. Saturday they were calling for rain and higher winds but it turned out to be pretty good as well, although we still sailed under a reefed main because of the occasional hard gust out of nowhere and the cold water temp. There were few people on the lake and we basically had it to ourselves. Sorry no pictures, the bride didn't want to risk getting the digital camera wet ;) I don't have too many great stories to tell. I got to do quite a bit of upwind sailing with 10+ knots of wind. Since my wife and I only daysail and are not in a hurry, I find the best way to make progress up wind in that situation is to roll up the jib and just sail on the reefed main and just make about 2 knots to windward. I can sail much closer to the wind with just the main than with both sails. The jib will luff long before the main starts to flog.

I'm glad you got to sail. I just happen to see a weather report that didn't look very promising. It sounds as if you got a dose of just about all types of weather, except for snow. You guys didn't happen to have snow up there too, did you?

Dave

Not a bad bit of sailing for a vacation, really, Kim. My free days last summer usually were stormy or dead calm. In our newbie mode, my wife and I have also employed the technique of only using the main and have had fun with minimal confusion and concern.

On the weather front, things have been balmy here in the Northwoods to the point that, for the most part, the ice went out on the lakes over the weekend (20-30 mph winds helped with that job). That means it really is SPRING here. Once the water warms up and the winds drop to manageable levels, it may even eventually be sailing season!

Dave Lilley said:
I'm glad you got to sail. I just happen to see a weather report that didn't look very promising. It sounds as if you got a dose of just about all types of weather, except for snow. You guys didn't happen to have snow up there too, did you?

Dave
No snow, they were calling for it on the Saturday of the weekend before we left though. Glad it warmed up a bit. Still manged to get a good sunburn on my legs though. Sunscreen is my friend.

Jeff said:
Not a bad bit of sailing for a vacation, really, Kim. My free days last summer usually were stormy or dead calm. In our newbie mode, my wife and I have also employed the technique of only using the main and have had fun with minimal confusion and concern.

On the weather front, things have been balmy here in the Northwoods to the point that, for the most part, the ice went out on the lakes over the weekend (20-30 mph winds helped with that job). That means it really is SPRING here. Once the water warms up and the winds drop to manageable levels, it may even eventually be sailing season!
It does seem like its all or nothing with the wind sometimes. My best days sailing during the summer are usually overcast days, there seems to be more of a staedy light breeze on those days.

New mast

You can order a new mast from Catalina (818-884-7700). To order a Handbook, go to the Navigation box on the home page and click on "Handbook." Costs $20

Back