Here's My Plan; Any Suggestions?

kaoskorruption

I'm going to add two inspection ports to my boat for both storage and dryness reasons. I'm going to install one 5" port with a cat bag in the front between the daggerboard and coaming and one 6" the cockpit. I plan on using the 5" port for keys, wallet, cell phone, etc and the 6" one for storing an ore for rowing in case the wind dies. I'm also going to get a mainsheet jam cleat.

Also! My boat is a Pearson, so the fiberglass cracks easily and already has a lot of hairline cracks. Is it even worth investing in these upgrades?

I'm going to buy everything from http://www.apsltd.com/ with their High School discount (I'm in high school although not on a sailing team - my school doesn't have a sailing team.)

Here's the exact parts that I'm getting:
VK1101 5" Inspection Port, White $9.20
VK1117 Fat Bag for 5" Port $22.02
VK1145 6" Inspection Port, White $11.74
MSC040 3M 5200 - White Silicone, 3oz Tube $10.94
SV22 Servo 22 Cam Cleat (22/37) $24.15
SV22FLTM Servo 22 Eyestrap Fairlead $3.19

Questions:
1) Should I get the normal 3M 5200 or the Fast Drying 3M 5200 for $4 extra?
2) What do you think?

These upgrades all sound good, and the price is within reason. Go for it.

Not all Pearson boats were substandard. I owned a 1992 Pearson hull and the only problem was that after 98 years of hard use, the mast hole and deck separated - but was an easy fix. I did eventually sell it and got a newer Vanguard boat, but I raced the Pearson for years with good results.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Do not use 5200, as it creates a near-permanent bond, and as said before, this is not needed above the waterline.

Your choice of cleats is a little off. A single cam cleat is basically useless on a sunfish. You'll pull your guts out trying to over come the friction of the fairlead, not to mention it's fixed mounting position won't let you control the cleat from anything like a hiked out position.
The normal use is a 019 Harken hexaratchet block with an eye strap and hold up spring.
The cam or clam cleats are mounted on the outside edge of the cockpit where you can through bolt them and mounted on angle blocks so the mainsheet angle won't pull the sheet out of the cleats.
The Hexaratchet allows for free running or holding power depending on how you set it rotates for ease of use and the pair of cleats allow you to cleat and uncleat the sheet from any position.

I'll again say the first money you spend should be on a copy of "The Sunfish Bible". It tells all about rigging and sailing a Fish.

Your cat bag will not keep your wallet, cell phone, etc. dry. If you are going to take that stuff on the water with you (I sure don't!), you'll want a waterproof bag to drop into the cat bag. There is no guarantee that the interior of the Sunfish hull will always be dry. One grounding (which can crack the daggerboard trunk), one capsize in shallow water (getting the gaff stuck in the mud leading to a small crack in the mast step), one bad trip on a trailer or a rooftop, and you'll find water inside the hull and those items that are not fond of moisture will bear its markings ...

If you're in an area where the Mounties (gandarme, etc.) are offensive, you might consider using clear Contact paper to affix a copy of your registration inside the cockpit at a point where you will seldom kick it or bounce things against it so it lasts a long time, if you're worried about "having the right papers." I am always prepared to have an official follow me back to my car where I will have all the appropriate paperwork ready to hand to them. This way it doesn't turn to mush, get lost in a capsize, etc.

Good luck!

Okay thanks for everybody's help. Instead of the cleat that I was going to get, I'm trying to decide between this:
V33009 Mainsheet Jam Cleat $61.22
and this:
V30120 Harken Mainsheet Ratchet $59.10

Unfortunately they are both expensive. Does anybody know of anything that would work as well as these that is less expensive?

Also, is the 3M 4200 better for what I'm doing or is it just not as "overkill" as the 5200? Would you recommend quick dry or or is that a waste of $4?

And one last thing: Is it possible at all to get a waterproof cat bag?

4200 is what you should use for those inspection ports. It really doesn't matter if its fast or slow dry. I'd buy the slow and save the 4 bucks. Also, check LL Bean to see if they have those rubber river bags. I bought a nice one from there and they're waterproof and very cheap...probably 25 dollars. OR, you can just put your cellphone and water sensitive stuff inside two or three ziploc bags before you put them in your hull.

Its great to see younger people getting into sailing! Good luck!!!

I have a Viking bag on my inspection port that is great. I put a couple of water bottles in there and along with my cell phone in a Zip Lock Freezer Bag. The freezer bag is a little bit thicker than the regular zip lock bag.
Those waterproof bags from LL Bean, or where I got mine at Cabellas, are really great. Thick, durable and very very water resistant.

Back