Help with waves

Krycek

SO.... recent events have taught me that I suck in waves. Anyone have suggestions on literature or videos to help me play in waves?

I have the Boat Whisperer DVD and he explained it, but I'm looking for something with a litte more in depth analysis.

thanks!!!!!

Wow; that's good stuff in those Dr Laser archives. Rather advanced I would say. Thanks for the link(s).

On a very basic level, I was told (by Laser coach Rulo) to head up some going up the waves, by moving the body inward, and to bear off down the waves, by hiking hard. In other words, minimize rudder movements; just try to do it all by shifting your weight. This is quite tiring, :eek:, and it really pays to be in shape.
I am not going to describe torquing the boat; that is just too complicated for a flat-water guy like me.

I was also told that even the best sailors don't manage all waves perfectly because waves can be out of phase (see the Boat Whisperer video). Just concentrate on the big ones and expect to miss a few.

My two cents (from a guy who is agonizingly slow in waves, but trying to improve).

PS: there are some good videos of Robert Scheidt on the internet (YouTube).

Wow; that's good stuff in those Dr Laser archives. Rather advanced I would say. Thanks for the link(s).

On a very basic level, I was told (by Laser coach Rulo) to head up some going up the waves, by moving the body inward, and to bear off down the waves, by hiking hard. In other words, minimize rudder movements; just try to do it all by shifting your weight. This is quite tiring, :eek:, and it really pays to be in shape.
I am not going to describe torquing the boat; that is just too complicated for a flat-water guy like me.

I was also told that even the best sailors don't manage all waves perfectly because waves can be out of phase (see the Boat Whisperer video). Just concentrate on the big ones and expect to miss a few.

My two cents (from a guy who is agonizingly slow in waves, but trying to improve).

PS: there are some good videos of Robert Scheidt on the internet (YouTube).

That's pretty good info to start with. To be able to "torque" the boat enough through the waves without using your rudder will require a high degree of fitness and can also get you in trouble on rule 42 if you're not careful. Us mortals use the rudder mostly and will use a combination of rudder and "torquing" through the nasty sets.

When "torquing" from the hiked position and heading into the face of the wave you lean your upper body forward, (toward the bow) as moving weight forward will make the boat want to head up. A little stear "up" on the rudder helps.

Coming off the back side of the wave you, quickly, move your upper body back, (in a thrust like manner) while easing the sheet a tiny bit and stearing your bow down at the same time.

When you run into a set of waves or have wave consistancy and are doing this a lot you will get called on rule 42 as it does get the leech pumping. Use it when you need it.

Back