Help with race set-up basics, seminars, and a government requirement question

254X

Greetings, all:

Excellent forum! I've enjoyed reading through the various threads over the past several days and have learned a lot. Those of us who are brand new to Sunfish are lucky to have such a resource. I hope some of you will take a few minutes and answer some questions for me.

My goal is to enjoy a Sunfish on inland lake waters just sailing around by myself. I really want to race, too, but with no fleet anywhere nearby I'll have to travel unless I can convince some of the locals who belong to a sailing club to hop into a Sunfish and join in. That may be possible due to some circumstances not worth discussing herein. I have borrowed an older 'fish, a 1970 model, to sail a bit while I am shopping for a boat to buy. My question is this: In looking for a boat to race, what would be considered a deal-breaker? I am considering boats that are already rigged for racing and just want to know some keys to look for or ask about.

I may have gotten in over my head on this; but, I signed up for a Cordero weekend clinic that's being held in Dallas in mid-September. I suspect there'll be some rather serious racers there. Two questions: Being new to the Sunfish (I've had a grand total of three sails on this borrowed boat), what skills should I work on to best prepare me to take advantage of the clinic? Secondly, what should I look to gain from the clinic?

Where I'll be sailing on inland lakes the winds are usually 5 - 10 kts. Sometimes we get days that are 10 - 15kts. So, for sailing in light to moderate breezes, any thoughts on clothing to buy? I'm looking at Camet shorts with pads and maybe a rash guard. I live in the hot, humid south and the lake water is mostly like bath water. Any other ideas, suggestions?

A little off-beat; but, I have a question about boat registration numbers. Frankly, I can't think of another single item that can be placed on a sailboat--especially one as small as a Sunfish--as ugly as those dang registration numbers. But, flipping through magazines (I just now looked at every picture, cover to cover, in Sailing World), I see where most of the boats do not have registration numbers. And they are boats being raced--not ads for boats. What gives? How does that happen? It might seem trivial but I'd appreciate some insight on this. In fact, one of the Sunfish I am looking at buying belongs to a guy in Florida and it has no registration numbers--and I know it's been raced for at least five years. So...what's the trick?

Thanks in advance to all responses!

My question is this: In looking for a boat to race, what would be considered a deal-breaker? I am considering boats that are already rigged for racing and just want to know some keys to look for or ask about.
Stiff and Dry is the usual response. Racing sail and racing daggerboard; but you already know that. There's a lot of info on this forum regarding what to look out for when contemplating buying a used boat (use the Search function in the upper bar). A knowledgeable Sunfish person who could take a look at a boat with you would be great.

I may have gotten in over my head on this; but, I signed up for a Cordero weekend clinic that's being held in Dallas in mid-September. I suspect there'll be some rather serious racers there. Two questions: Being new to the Sunfish (I've had a grand total of three sails on this borrowed boat), what skills should I work on to best prepare me to take advantage of the clinic? Secondly, what should I look to gain from the clinic?

Prior to the clinic, just go sailing as much as you can. Practice tacking and jibing.
Clinics usually have a 'land' and an 'on the water' part. Just listen carefully to the Master and/or take notes. You may have some trouble with the on-the-water drills, but just hang in there. Studying the David Loring DVD (advertised on this forum) might be quite helpful to get you 'up to speed' prior to the clinic.
I am sure you will pick up a lot from the clinic, even if you are not a hard-core racer right now.

Where I'll be sailing on inland lakes the winds are usually 5 - 10 kts. Sometimes we get days that are 10 - 15kts. So, for sailing in light to moderate breezes, any thoughts on clothing to buy? I'm looking at Camet shorts with pads and maybe a rash guard. I live in the hot, humid south and the lake water is mostly like bath water. Any other ideas, suggestions?
Sounds good to me; you may not even need a rash guard.

A little off-beat; but, I have a question about boat registration numbers.
You just need to become a member of the Class. The Class office will mail you numbers to put on the sail. If you see numbers on the hull, they were either assigned for certain regattas or they are State mandated.

For your registration numbers - check with your state. It varies state to state. Some states the boats are small enough not to be registered, others require it. There is a difference in the state registration (numbers and yearly tag on the hull) vs the numbers on your sail - thats for your Sunfish class stuff.

FYI here in NM the policy is not to give "warnings" this year if your caught on the water witha violation such as missing registration, no fire ext, bailing bucket, etc......as the state is in a budget crunch and needs the money from these fines. The biggest money maker seems to be catching the jetski's without a paddle. The ranger gives them a little paddle for jetskis along with their $160 ticket.

For your registration numbers - check with your state. It varies state to state. Some states the boats are small enough not to be registered, others require it. There is a difference in the state registration (numbers and yearly tag on the hull) vs the numbers on your sail - thats for your Sunfish class stuff.

I should have been more clear: I was asking about registration numbers for licensing from the state. Anyone know of states that do not require numbers for Sunfish?

FYI here in NM the policy is not to give "warnings" this year if your caught on the water witha violation such as missing registration, no fire ext, bailing bucket, etc......as the state is in a budget crunch and needs the money from these fines. The biggest money maker seems to be catching the jetski's without a paddle. The ranger gives them a little paddle for jetskis along with their $160 ticket.

<rant> During these economic times, do everything exactly by the book and beat 'em at their own game. No more taxes in the form of "violations!" </rant>

Thanks for the info.

Being new to the Sunfish (I've had a grand total of three sails on this borrowed boat), what skills should I work on to best prepare me to take advantage of the clinic? Secondly, what should I look to gain from the clinic?

Are you new to sailing a altogether?

Whether you are new to sailing or just new to sailing a lateen rigged board boat, the A to Z of Sunfish sailing fundamentals an Eduardo Cordero clinic helps enhance are covered with illustrated instructions in the reference book, The Sunfish Bible.

http://www.apsltd.com/p-10096-book-the-sunfish-bible.aspx

2401.jpg

This synopsis of an Eduardo Cordero clinic as related by Brian McGinnis may give you some useful insights...
http://www.islandwebdesign.biz/blog/archives/2004/09/notes_from_sunf.html

Are you new to sailing a altogether?

No. Sailed and raced Scots for two seasons in a club with only one, sometimes two, other Scots. There were plenty of Scots back at the yard sitting on trailers. Went to a couple of larger regattas and had a blast--from the back of the pack, of course.

Whether you are new to sailing or just new to sailing a lateen rigged board boat, the A to Z of Sunfish sailing fundamentals an Eduardo Cordero clinic helps enhance are covered with illustrated instructions in the reference book, The Sunfish Bible.

I have one on order; I expect it to arrive tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to it!​

This synopsis of an Eduardo Cordero clinic as related by Brian McGinnis may give you some useful insights...

Thanks, Wayne! Very helpful info!

Back