Help with new sunfish and wooden dinghy boat

joy664

Hey, guys I just got a new sunfish for $300. I am trying to learn how to sail and thought this would be a great boat to learn on. Weirdly in the same day, some guy on craigslist gave me a free wooden dingy boat, its missing the rudder, centerboard, and boom though. It was hand made so I can not just buy the replacement parts. Would it be possible to just get a "Sunfish, Gudgeon Bracket" and put that on the other boat to use? How about the centerboard/daggerboard. The sunfish also needs some work and is missing some parts. Let me know what you think and if you have any recommendations. I have attached pictures of both boats. The sunfish I got has the clip in pin rudder could I just get the hardware and put it on the other boat and clip it in?

Attachments

• gftMkWyDQUCLwcIoaRBUCw.jpg
    gftMkWyDQUCLwcIoaRBUCw.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • kbXWFKtvRmarPayWeCkxjg.jpg
    kbXWFKtvRmarPayWeCkxjg.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • EwoxFXGeQ0GUD8wkTcQKTw.jpg
    EwoxFXGeQ0GUD8wkTcQKTw.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • uj7giYSXQLCPQSc60lYsHA.jpg
    uj7giYSXQLCPQSc60lYsHA.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Congrats on the new fleet!

How tall is the transom on the dinghy? It might just work. Depending on how high the gunwale is above the water you might be able to cut an opening in he transom for the tiller. It would also be easy to order some pintles and make a rudder and tiller.

You'd probably want 12 inches of daggerboard below the keel at least. If it fits the trunk, use it!

For a boom, consider a closet rod. They have them at Lowes, 1 1/2 inch diameter and up to 10 feet long. Make sure to grab a straight one.

Thanks for the response Charlie! I will have to measure tomorrow and get back to you. As I have never built something before I think making a rudder and tiller might be out of my area of skills haha. It would be great if I can just interchange the one on the sunfish. I will check the daggerboard and get the closet rod, that's a great idea!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. I am very new to sailing but eager to get out there!

The good part is you can get a Sunfish rudder bracket and mount it. The not
so good part is the rudder blade will be too short and you will half to make
a longer one. The other good part is you could buy a spare rudder off
E-Bay. The not so good part is they are way over priced and charge $250
for a unit worth half that. The good part is you could mount the Sunfish
rudder as is and try it out to see if it works good enough, or not!

You're welcome. A rudder would be a fun first project. You could buy some pine boards at Lowes and the hardware. You'd need a jigsaw and drill.

Rudderbox.jpg

More ideas

The good part is you can get a Sunfish rudder bracket and mount it. The not
so good part is the rudder blade will be too short and you will half to make
a longer one.

That is why Signal Charlie said "you might be able to cut an opening in he transom for the tiller. " That way you mount the rudder where it needs to be and the tiller is still accessible.

I see what you mean about it being too short. Hmmmm and yeah I looked on ebay too and couldn't find anything reasonable.

That is why Signal Charlie said "you might be able to cut an opening in he transom for the tiller. " That way you mount the rudder where it needs to be and the tiller is still accessible.

Would that look something like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.56.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.56.43 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
It is a spindrift 10! But since all the boats are hand-built I have not been able to find any replacement parts anywhere. Just people who are selling their boats. I also contacted the company as well and they are pricy to have pre-built.

Pricey? She's worth it!

They might sell plans for just the rudder and daggerboard The B&B Team | B&B Yacht Designs

Small world, we were given a sail for a Spindrift 10 last week, it had grommets vs sleeve. We sent it to some friends up in Vineyard Haven for their mission project, they take sails down to Haiti each year.

They do, I just don't know how to build haha. I really love it though! I am determined to figure it out. Also bottom-up it looks to be rotting a bit... when I put my finger on it crunches a bit. I was recommended JB weld? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• xoNuSKdtRLmS%cwakUeDiw.jpg
    xoNuSKdtRLmS%cwakUeDiw.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 37
  • ZryLIdItTMGdTBvDqBS7+w.jpg
    ZryLIdItTMGdTBvDqBS7+w.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 40
  • rnDVZZRERUWsaKSTXBCNpQ.jpg
    rnDVZZRERUWsaKSTXBCNpQ.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 35
  • mKOIXU5vTbWpkNL08P3o7w.jpg
    mKOIXU5vTbWpkNL08P3o7w.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 7Zf0K1cuQMmxJiXuH9e6yQ.jpg
    7Zf0K1cuQMmxJiXuH9e6yQ.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
You can buy a set of plans for the Spindrift. Building
the correct rudder should be your first choice. You
could also post on the general sailing forums and
try and get someone to send some pictures of the
unit. Personally you have a really simple unit that
would only require a couple rudder pins, a oak plank
and a tiller stick. Mock up the unit with cardboard and
a broom stick first. It's going to be really simple. You'll
get a lot more for your boat when you sell it if you keep
it original . It's also a lot more fun to have a boat that sails
like it was originally designed to sail.

Pricey? She's worth it!

They might sell plans for just the rudder and daggerboard The B&B Team | B&B Yacht Designs

Small world, we were given a sail for a Spindrift 10 last week, it had grommets vs sleeve. We sent it to some friends up in Vineyard Haven for their mission project, they take sails down to Haiti each year.

Wow, I just saw the second part of your message, seriously such a small world. I was honestly shocked you knew what it was, That's very cool, that sounds like an awesome project.

You can buy a set of plans for the Spindrift. Building
the correct rudder should be your first choice. You
could also post on the general sailing forums and
try and get someone to send some pictures of the
unit. Personally you have a really simple unit that
would only require a couple rudder pins, a oak plank
and a tiller stick. Mock up the unit with cardboard and
a broom stick first. It's going to be really simple. You'll
get a lot more for your boat when you sell it if you keep
it original . It's also a lot more fun to have a boat that sails
like it was originally designed to sail.
thank you! I will try that

"I was recommended JB weld?"

Hmmm, there is a JB-Weld KwikWood, epoxy putty, that might work. You have to get the rot gone first. Remove the trim piece on the keel and dig out the soft spots with a screw driver. Then you'll know if you can repair a few spots of if it's better to remove the keel strip and replace it. With a few tools like a jigsaw and a oscillating multi-tool you can do a lot of simple repairs. I wrote an article about the multi-tool for Small Boats Magazine. Now you don't have to buy the tool, just find a friend who has them.

Back to the Sunfish, what does she need?

And do your boats have names yet?

"I was recommended JB weld?"

Hmmm, there is a JB-Weld KwikWood, epoxy putty, that might work. You have to get the rot gone first. Remove the trim piece on the keel and dig out the soft spots with a screw driver. Then you'll know if you can repair a few spots of if it's better to remove the keel strip and replace it. With a few tools like a jigsaw and a oscillating multi-tool you can do a lot of simple repairs. I wrote an article about the multi-tool for Small Boats Magazine. Now you don't have to buy the tool, just find a friend who has them.

Back to the Sunfish, what does she need?

And do your boats have names yet?

Thanks, I will try to work on that today. Will read the article as well! The sunfish is missing the mast cap, which is coming in the mail, it has some tears in the sail that I got some special tape to patch over and unfortunately, the nose took a pretty bad hit, so I am looking at having to do some fiberglass work before getting it out there as well. Boo. Other than the nose though it looks to be in great condition. It could be missing some more rigging but I can't tell yet. I was wondering if I should drill a hole into the top of the daggerboard tho and tie it to the boat in case I capsize.

I have not named them yet. I'm still trying to think some up!

Attachments

• g2LgIapsSmmN1FfBcc4RXw.jpg
    g2LgIapsSmmN1FfBcc4RXw.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 35
  • 3PsW6yTqQ4WU5WYQmmZrQg.jpg
    3PsW6yTqQ4WU5WYQmmZrQg.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 34
You will want to drill out the rivets (1/8” bit) and carefully remove that section of aluminum trim at the bow to make an effective repair there. Do a leak test- lots of info here or at Signal Charlie’s Small Boat Restoration site on how that’s done.
Looks like a nice Sunfish that just needs a bit of TLC. You got a great deal, especially with a free Spindrift!

Sorry I just saw your response, I still do need to get the repair kit I probably will get the one you recommended I have watched a couple YouTube videos so far, update on the Spindrift though... I took off the metal keel strip and it looks like half of it was rotted boo, so I’m not sure if I can still use the putty or if I should figure out how to replace all or half of it. What do you think?

Attachments

• 3687C69D-96B7-4C40-9764-F2202A6CB816.jpeg
    3687C69D-96B7-4C40-9764-F2202A6CB816.jpeg
    661.4 KB · Views: 31
  • FDF10B9B-A5B0-4AE0-A696-E3D954B822F0.jpeg
    FDF10B9B-A5B0-4AE0-A696-E3D954B822F0.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 30
  • A7764D60-301D-490D-AA2F-E536138AF9BE.jpeg
    A7764D60-301D-490D-AA2F-E536138AF9BE.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 27
  • B3EADC5A-C8CE-4D4C-A31F-52F935793A1E.jpeg
    B3EADC5A-C8CE-4D4C-A31F-52F935793A1E.jpeg
    851.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 87470C82-30BB-4642-BDF1-DDB1DC32B3F7.jpeg
    87470C82-30BB-4642-BDF1-DDB1DC32B3F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • FD125A1B-95C3-4584-B252-A599F16163F3.jpeg
    FD125A1B-95C3-4584-B252-A599F16163F3.jpeg
    718.2 KB · Views: 31
Looks like you're in luck. Keel strips are usually sacrificial, and can be replaced. So replace all of it, and check the mating surface to make sure rot hasn't got in there. We can remove and treat as needed.

2 schools of thought on the keel strip. 1) Hardwood (oak, mahogany, cypress) which is hard to find and hard to work, but lasts a long time or 2) Pine or Douglas Fir, basically premium 1x4 or 2x4 stock, which is easy to find and easy to work but will need replacement in 5-10 years. It will last a long time.Of course nowadays, you might consider PVC trim, it is getting used more on houses, comes in 1x dimensions, and can be cut with regular power tools. That is your builder's decision, we usually go the softwood route. Plan on using silicone bronze fasteners for the work done under the waterline, available at marine hardware stores local or online (Jamestown Distributors).

Thanks Charlie, I will look into trying that! There are the leftover ends of screws sticking out too, the bottom parts tho, looks like the keel was screwed in from the bottom of the boat, should I try to pull them out or cut them?

I read your article too, and am thinking about getting the dwalt tool and cutting it with that possibly

Of course nowadays, you might consider PVC trim, it is getting used more on houses, comes in 1x dimensions, and can be cut with regular power tools. That is your builder's decision, we usually go the softwood route. Plan on using silicone bronze fasteners for the work done under the waterline, available at marine hardware stores local or online (Jamestown Distributors).
PVC can be cut with hand tools—regular hack-saw or ordinary $1 hand-saw at Dollar Tree stores. :)

There are some Wood-Plastic Composite martials the would make a ideal keel
strip. You would pretty much have a permeant solution short of dragging
the boat down the road. The composite material I have in mind is the same
used as substitute for traditional lumber in playground structures. I think
it's also called Plastic-Fiber Composite.

If you can't get to the screw heads inside the boat, I'd cut them off, with multi-tool, hacksaw or reciprocating saw. Or cutoff wheel on grinder.

Harbor Freight stores have 4-inch grinders on sale frequently. For less than $10, they're handy to have around. I've got four (!) sometimes ordering a new one when I can't locate one of my old ones. :confused:

In the years past, they'd arrive with a grinding disc included (and a spare set of armature brushes :(). Today, you have to buy a half-dozen discs separately—about $7. :rolleyes:

Back