Help With Daggerboard Restoration

Flatlander

I am trying to restore my daggerboard (1974 Alcort) Would someone be able to e-mail me a couple of close-up pics of the top end of the board? Mine had considerable rot from laying in the cockpit of the boat stored outside. There were remnants of a stop collar made of strips of wood and screwed and nailed to the board. I need to try to replicate it and need some guidance. Also, would it hurt to trim about an inch off the top of the board?
There is deterioration due to the use of screws and nails used to fasten this collar. I really need to see a close-up picture of the proper set-up.

Thanks,
Curt

Curt,
I am going to assume you are restoring you fish as a day/sport boat and not as a racer, but the rules in this case can help with dimensions. It may not be a photo but, go to the SF Class Home page, look in the ISCA Rules, go to the Diagrams after the written part, look for page 7, fig 1 Under daggerboards. I believe you have the round bottom style wood board. I measured my "grips" as 3/4" square and 8-3/4 to 8-7/8" long with a finger recess (about 4-3/4") centered on each side. All 3 pieces (grip, board, grip) are flush on top, the grips are chamfered along the bottom (to relieve the sharp edge) and rounded on the outside verticle edges. You will also have to extend the recess for the flat brass spring the same amount you cut off. Two brass flathead screws secure the grips to the board. You can shorten the board, but keep it to the minimum. The newer wood boards are wider for more Blade area under water. Less blade area = less pointing ability and more side slip. You can also wrap the blade with fiberglass (the rules allow it), keeping it 3/4" +/- 1/16" (rule dimension) in cross section, any more and it will not fit in the well. A coat of varnish or paint will protect the fiberglass from UV. Covering with fiberglass may allow you to remove the rotted wood and fill the voids with an epoxy/fiberglass putty mix to repair the rot and not shorten the board. Good Luck and I hope the info helps.

If you're restoring the board to keep everything on the boat original you should follow Skylark's advice and info. If your restoring it just for functionality, you can buy a new or used board and save yourself a lot of time and effort. Check ebay and the for sale ads here and elsewhere. You can also put up a wanted ad for a used board.

Fred

Back