Help with Catalina Expo 12.5 Daggerboard

Tom W

I have a Catalina Expo 12.5 that I've had stored for years since I lost the daggerboard. Going to try to get it in the water this spring! I have been unsuccessful in finding a replacement daggerboard, or even the dimensions so that I can make a new one. If anyone has a Expo 12.5 and can share the dimensions it would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm planning on making the replacement from marine plywood and just putting a coat of epoxy on it. Is that an acceptable construction method? Thanks in advance for any assistance of guidance you can provide.

I don't have a 12.5 so can't help with dimensions, but if I made a plywood daggerboard I would add a layer of 4-6ounce fiberglass cloth over the wood with the epoxy.

Sailboatdata.com lists the 12.5 and indicates the draft, which might help with a decision about the length of the daggerboard. I did not download Catalina's brochure on the 12.5 but it may give a little more technical information, along with contacting Catalina Direct. On other sailing dinghy;s which I have owned the dagger boards were marine grade plywood which was well impregnated with resin and epoxy coated. But, I agree with megigharbor that if I was starting from scratch I would glass the board with fiberglass cloth and resin. I would also add barrier coat for extra protection from seepage, hopefully with color added to the barrier coat. Not sure if sunlight degradation is much of a concern with a dagger board but would not ever leave the finished product out in the direct sun. Good luck.

I don't have a 12.5 so can't help with dimensions, but if I made a plywood daggerboard I would add a layer of 4-6ounce fiberglass cloth over the wood with the epoxy.
Thanks for the tips! I watched a video of how to do that and it looks like something I could do. Guess I have a project.

Sailboatdata.com lists the 12.5 and indicates the draft, which might help with a decision about the length of the daggerboard. I did not download Catalina's brochure on the 12.5 but it may give a little more technical information, along with contacting Catalina Direct. On other sailing dinghy;s which I have owned the dagger boards were marine grade plywood which was well impregnated with resin and epoxy coated. But, I agree with megigharbor that if I was starting from scratch I would glass the board with fiberglass cloth and resin. I would also add barrier coat for extra protection from seepage, hopefully with color added to the barrier coat. Not sure if sunlight degradation is much of a concern with a dagger board but would not ever leave the finished product out in the direct sun. Good luck.
Thanks for the ideas. I did download the brochure but no detail on dagger. I think I'll just use a similar length to a like sized boat that has more online data available. Haven't heard anything back from Catalina unfortunately.

Back