Help with Buying Laser 4000

ek5932

Hi There! I've decided to finally get back into the sailing scene, I casually sailed for most of my childhood but have had a nice long break. I'm looking to buy something with I can eventually progress into racing with my dad, I was looking at a Laser 4000 but I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I was wondering if the boat has straps for the crew member to use or if there is only the trapeze? My dad hasn't used a trapeze before and though he wants to learn I'm sure he'd be much more comfortable using straps to start off with. If this is the case what happens on days where the wind isn't so strong? Can the helms simply sit further back and share their strap?

Thanks!

Having googled for some pictures, I am doubtful that there are - probably due to the fact that fully hiking from toe straps is probably about the same as trapezing with legs fully bent (i.e. squatted). I have not sailed a 4000, but when I had a Fireball, my crew "practised" by "trapezing" from the centre-board casing. The most important thing is for the helm to learn how to keep the power steady, otherwise the crew gets dumped in the drink...

I'll talk to my dad and see if he's up for the challenge. Can you recommend any other similar boats which do have straps for the crew just in case? Perhaps a RS 400? I'm not the best on the racing class dinghy's ^^

Back