help with 1977 laser radial sail halyard

tridocbeachbum

Hello - I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 1977 laser, and I'm also new to sailing. I discovered that the radial sail, which I want to use for learning as I'm only 105#, has a special "cage" that fits over the mast head and requires a halyard to raise the sail. I've successfully raised the sail and rigged the boat otherwise, but don't know where to tie the halyard as there's no cleat on the mast or deck for that purpose. Any thoughts or suggestions? Can I just drill a small cleat to the base of the mast and use that to tie the halyard? Thanks!!

Forget the halyard. Not to go into further details, it was a bad idea and an evolutionary dead end, and was scrapped more than 30 years ago.

Just tie the top of the sail to the fairlead on the ”cage” fitting with a short piece of low-stretch line. Measure it so that the cunningham eye is at the same distance from the gooseneck as with a ”normal” Radial sail.

Do not drill any extra holes in your mast.

_

Forget the halyard. Not to go into further details, it was a bad idea and an evolutionary dead end, and was scrapped more than 30 years ago.

Just tie the top of the sail to the fairlead on the ”cage” fitting with a short piece of low-stretch line. Measure it so that the cunningham eye is at the same distance from the gooseneck as with a ”normal” Radial sail.

Do not drill any extra holes in your mast.

_
Got it, thank you very much. I was not excited to drill holes in the mast as my neighbor suggested - didn't sound right to me.

Back