What's new

Help me identify these parts; may belong to a Sailfish?

jaas75

hi guys I recently got a sunfish and I'm restoring it and always on the look out for "new parts" well a few weeks ago an add for a sunfish rudder and daggerboard pop out on my nearby craiglist.
So I got them and then realize they don't fit my sunfish , precisely after I began my restoration of this parts:mad:
I contact the seller and he apologized for mismatch and assures me now it's from a sailfish he even took a picture of the old sail to reassure me, but I was always under the impression the sunfish and sailfish share the same parts?????
So now I have this spare parts and I guess Ill have to sell them (unless user sailcraft wants to exchange :p:p:p , sorry for that shameless request sailcraft lol ) but don't want to mislabel them

pictures show my old parts vs "sailfish parts"
thxs in advance

jose

Attachments

danpal

Looks like you got Sailfished. Happens to the best of us...

I've got a Sailfish daggerboard in the basement. I might use the mahogany to make another rudder when my current one dies.

jaas75

wow, I really hope not, I mean the metal attachment for the rudder looks exactly like a sunfish just smaller (please look at the picture)
I mean isn't the sailfish thinner???

If I really got sailfished please advice which sailboat belongs to (sail have a sailfish according to seller)

danpal

You are right, the parts you got are from a Sailfish. The transom on a Sailfish is thinner hence the shorter rudder fitting. The daggerboard is also shorter.

I was joking about being sailfished. That's not really a term we use on the list. :oops:

signal charlie

Staff member
Fiberglass Sunfish are thicker, more keel than the fiberglass Super Sailfish MKII, the wooden Sailfish, the wooden Super Sailfish and the wooden Sunfish. You need a vertical plate rudder fitting that is 7 inches tall vs that 4 inch fitting. You also need a daggerboard minimum 39 inches vs the tiny 31 inch Sailfish daggerboard. The rudder looks small as well, an early 60s model.

jaas75

thxs guys for the answers, it got me worried for a second:D

so anyone interested in sailfish parts???:p:p:p:p

signal charlie

Staff member
I am looking for the original bronze tiller bolts/nuts that attach the straps to the tiller and tiller to the rudder. Also original tiller extension bolt. Post some pictures of the hardware if you please.

jaas75

Hmm I'll try to take pictures, but honestly I think you better off with a run of the mill homedepot bolts and nuts. Unless you refer to the bronze parts to attach the rudder to the boat and the 2 bronze plaques attaching rudder to tiller
Pls check pic#4 is that what you referring ?
I'll take more pics tomorrow of all the bronze parts I have

signal charlie

Staff member
I'm trying to put together a period correct rudder for a wooden Sunfish. Already have the hull fittings.

Webfoot1

See lots of Sailfish on Craigslist for next to nothing. Might be fun to keep the parts and pick up a Sailfish hull just for the yucks of trying to sail it. Good way to get wet on a hot day.

jaas75

See lots of Sailfish on Craigslist for next to nothing. Might be fun to keep the parts and pick up a Sailfish hull just for the yucks of trying to sail it. Good way to get wet on a hot day.
my wife would kill me if i add 1 sailboat more, i would prefer to sell it

L&VW

"...so anyone interested in sailfish parts...???:p:p:p:p
But...

"...I've got a Sailfish daggerboard in the basement. I might use the mahogany to make another rudder when my current one dies..."
From Danpal's comment above, it appears there's enough mahogany wood in the Sailfish daggerboard to make a Sunfish rudder.

Y'know, "make lemonade"... ;)