Help me I.D. these parts

Alan S. Glos

A friend was cleaning out a cottage and found (what she thought) was Sunfish rudder assembly and daggerboard. So offered them to me for one of my restoration projects. It turns out they are not Sunfish parts.
See photos. The rudder head is a Sunfish part, but the 33" long blade of for a different boat, possibly another AMF boat like the Force 5 or a Puffer. The rudder blade is about 33" length overall. The oak tiller handle is clearly home made.

The daggerboard is a total mystery. It is 45 1/2" long. It looks a little like a Force 5 but is not. Like the old wood Sunfish boards, it has a metal tensioning fitting to hold it snug in the trunk when in the "down" position.

What have I got?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
L1030154.JPG
L1030154.JPG
L1030153.JPG

The daggerboard is a total mystery. It is 45 1/2" long. It looks a little like a Force 5 but is not. Like the old wood Sunfish boards, it has a metal tensioning fitting to hold it snug in the trunk when in the "down" position.

What have I got?

The metal tensioning fitting is a hardware store refurbishment item for "loose" sash windows, so it's possible that everything you mention is home-made for a Sunfish.

The new vertical Sunfish rudder design????

Rudder blade looks almost like the ones for the Escape boats. But LaVW might be right.

Yep, looks like someone bought the plastic gudgeon and fabricated a rudder blade and daggerboard to their own design.

Back