Help ID'ing My New 'Fish

mjr119

Hello, long time boater and lake resident, recently got into sailing. I purchased a "Sunfish" from my neighbor and I am not so sure it is a true Sunfish. Does anyone know what boat this is?

It has no plate or HID number on the back. It has aluminum trim railing. The rudder is definitely NOT from a sunfish, not even sure what the bracket is from, any idea on the rudder? It has an inspection port at the rear, so could be aftermarket modifications. It looks super clean, but the more i have looked at it, the more I think it has been repainted. The splash guard is NOT molded in.

I have sailed this thing about every day we have had a slight breeze. So much fun. Wanting to get a Hobie Cat 16 next! Or either get into a racing 'fish.

Pics to follow (posting pics from my phone).

IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG

I think that you are correct. Looks like a 'real' Sunfish to me with a rudder modification (and a drain in the stern).
PS: the deckplate near the stern provides more evidence for this thinking.

I think that you are correct. Looks like a 'real' Sunfish to me with a rudder modification (and a drain in the stern).
PS: the deckplate near the stern provides more evidence for this thinking.

Thanks, after doing a little more research, looks like my deck plate is still there, behind the splash guard, just painted over. Is this plate engraved or just a sticker?

I agree with Wavedancer - I think you have a pre-1972 Sunfish hull with a different rudder rig.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The plate for a Sunfish is etched with Alcort Waterbury and Sunfish/Sailfish images, and an engraved serial number on the bottom edge. Trivia, why is there a hole in the middle of the data plate below.

Looks Sunfishy to me.

Double foredeck stripes are 1968, but if it is painted it could be anything, example our 1965 boat Alcort WAVE, we added stripes fore and aft.
Audrey and Wave.JPG
1963 Super Sailfish Mt Vision 5 data serial plate.jpg

Vent hole for the Super Sailfish and the MKII. For the wooden kit it actually says in the build instructions to install the plate and then drill a hole through it!

Thanks all. Anyone know what this rudder is from?

I really need a new style rudder conversion kit, anyone have a used one for sale?

I have all the hardware you need for the new style, post 1972 rudder retrofit (external stainless steel gudgeon bracket with mounting screws, internal aluminum back-up plate, new 4" dia. deck port and even a short piece of aluminum deck/hull trim to fill the gap from the old hardware) for $39 + shipping. Photo and install instructions attached. I do not have a new style rudder assembly at this writing but I think I can help you locate one. E-mail me at: [email protected] if interested.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1040712.JPG
    L1040712.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Sunfish new style rudder upgrade instructions.docx
    74.9 KB · Views: 33

Back