Help I need a part ASAP or I'm done for the season!

Sunshinegal

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping that someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have a problem!

I'm not sure what the part is called, but the bracket that holds the tiller onto the stern has broken off right at the waterline. It just cracked right off into pieces.

This is only my second season with this boat which had been sitting for about 5 years when I bought it. I'm so upset as I just was able to put my boat in due to my job being so busy. I've only sailed once this season and the summer is flying by.

Can anyone tell me where I might find this part or if anyone has an old sunfish that they are parting out.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Landlocked Sunfish Lover Heidi!!!!

Can you post a photo? Or go to www.apsltd.com and look under the one design classes, Sunfish, rudder oarts and see if you can determine the part number needed. I have rudder assemblies and parts, some new and some used. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

I probably should have added that my sunfish is the older model, probably 1973 or earlier. It has the wooden rudder and tiller with the brass hardware.

Still not clear on what part as the tiller is not attached to the stern of the boat. The tiller would be attached to the rudder by means of two metal straps. If that is what is broken, you can probably get by with replacing them with aluminum material from Lowes, use 3/16" or 1/4" material. A picture of the broken part would help here.

Are you talking about the rudder cheek assembly? That is the plastic or metal assembly which holds the rudder and connects to the tiller.

You can purchase replacements from APS or sometimes on Ebay.

Back