HELP decoding my sunfish?

Is there anything else that can be told from the s/n?

Are later ones better to have then the pre-72 ones? I am in debate wether I should keep it or get a better one.

Not much else can be read from the S/N. The "C" (last letter) means it was made in October. AMF SF have been pretty good. they have the cockpit cubby hole and the newer style rudder. The only major change was to the deck hull joint, from a flat joint with aluminum trim to a rolled joint in 1987, much easier on the legs when hiking hard and is said to make the SF a bit stiffer.

Check it over/flip it over and make sure the bottom is smooth as possible is about the only thing required. Check the weight, roll it up onto a bathroom scale and have somebody read the scale, you are looking for about 130 pounds, no more than 145 max. If more than that, the foam is wet and the hull needs to be dried out (directions on Yahoo Sunfish Sailor). Not a big deal, but takes time. The installation of inspection ports is a pretty easy job and only takes about 15 minutes. If the SF is in otherwise decent condition you are good to go. You can look for a newer SF, but unless you are going to be a hard core racer, there is not much need to do so.

Back