Help. Amateur Repair

JoJoSig

Hi Everyone;

I have been reading this forum, with great appreciation. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with knuckleheads like me!

I have an older ( early 80's guess) MiniFish, and need a few help suggestions.

1. It was stored outside, and lots of water inside I cant drain. My sailing brother told me to drill a couple of holes above the water line... which I am assuming means the back topside of the boat. Is this correct?

2. The Mast Cleat is off of the topside of the boat and I need to replace it. Can I use any cleat?... because I cant find a "sunfish" cleat.?

3. When I install the cleat, is there a way to get into the Hull and use machine screws and threads, or is the Hull sealed ( my fear") and I will have to just fill with epoxy and hope for some screw purchase?

4. Also.... if I am trying to get in there ( I have heard/ read a lot about foam blocks, and rot) how in the world do I get in there?

Thank you in advance for taking pity on me!

Joe

1. It was stored outside, and lots of water inside I cant drain. My sailing brother told me to drill a couple of holes above the water line... which I am assuming means the back topside of the boat. Is this correct? Don't randomly drill holes above the waterline. Boats heel so there is no "waterline". See later notes about drying out the boat.

2. The Mast Cleat is off of the topside of the boat and I need to replace it. Can I use any cleat?... because I cant find a "sunfish" cleat.? Use a 4 inch cleat. Doesn't really matter if it is bronze, stainless or plastic (nylon).

3. When I install the cleat, is there a way to get into the Hull and use machine screws and threads, or is the Hull sealed ( my fear") and I will have to just fill with epoxy and hope for some screw purchase? Access with inspection port and thru bolt if you do the suggestion in item 4.

4. Also.... if I am trying to get in there ( I have heard/ read a lot about foam blocks, and rot) how in the world do I get in there? Look up drying out a Sunfish here on this forum or on Yahoo Sunfish_sailor users group. You will need an inspection port forward (close enough to access halyard cleat) and one aft. Boat upside down with solar powered fan in one hole.

"...3. When I install the cleat, is there a way to get into the Hull and use machine screws and threads, or is the Hull sealed ( my fear") and I will have to just fill with epoxy and hope for some screw purchase...?"
This is sailing season, so wait for winter to install the inevitable inspection port. ;)

Holt & Allen makes one that conforms to curved surfaces:
http://www.apsltd.com/c-4513-inspectionports.aspx

So it's summer, so pop-rivet a 3" cleat to the mast, but remember that the factory deck cleat assures that your entire rigging won't be lost in a capsize. :(

After you get the water that is sloshing around drained out weigh the hull. If it has that much water in it the foam has probably soaked some of it up and it will be heavy.

Back