hello to all

calicosine

hello all, i am new to this site and to sailing lasers {and sailing in general}. i am in the seattle area and just got the laser last summer at the end and have spent the winter upgrading the boat.i got the laser for free{1978 lsaer 70119} boat is in good shape and i have fixed everything on it and upgraded to all the new contols, needless to say my "free" boat has now cost me around 1000 dollars, but well worth it in my opinion and is now ready to sail and possibly race.i got out in the boat 5 times last summer before the dreadful seattle weather shut me down for the winter.am now ready for the spring and summer in the seattle area and am looking for someone in the seattle area to go out and train with.........anyone out there?. i am planning on joining the cyc club in seattle and have been out once on the race boat to help out and check out the races{looks like great fun!}any thoughts on what i should be doing to get ready?besides the obvious of sail,sail, and sail some more?i can be reached at [email protected] if anyone would like to go out and sail with me{ right now mainly on lake washington,but would be willing to go on the sound if i had a partner to go with}thanks in advance to any who would be willing to put up with a complete newbie!!!

calicosine said:
i am planning on joining the cyc club in seattle and have been out once on the race boat to help out and check out the races

Welcome to the forum, Calicosine. Have you talked to the Laser Fleet captain at CYC? Maybe he/she can connect you with someone.

thanks merrily i'll check into that, by the way i enjoyed your posts about your trip to florida? sounds like you had a lot of fun

calicosine said:
sounds like you had a lot of fun

I did have fun, my husband too. The blogging really added to the experience. I would have been pretty anonymous as a newbie, but it really added to the fun to be recognized from the writing and gave some topics of conversation. I highly recommend it to the members here that they do the same for their regatta travels this summer, because it seems to add to the fun for everyone. If you don't have access to wireless, at least make some notes to post from later, because you know you will forget by the next day what happened in which race.

hello sailor.

You'll want to join the Seattle Laser Fleet e-mail list.

the website is here: http://www.cycseattle.org/slf/

based out of CYC, but Sand Point is also a great place to sail. They are just finishing up a big upgrade of the waterfront.

The laser sailors in seattle are great people, and just introduce yourself, and I am sure they will make you feel welcome and offer any help they can.

I'm here in Portland, and many of those guys are customers of ours, so if there is anything you need, obviously, I offer my full support to you as well.

Welcome to the Northwest Laser fleet, it's going to be a great summer. :)

calicosine said:
hello all, i am new to this site and to sailing lasers {and sailing in general}. i am in the seattle area and just got the laser last summer at the end and have spent the winter upgrading the boat.i got the laser for free{1978 lsaer 70119} boat is in good shape and i have fixed everything on it and upgraded to all the new contols, needless to say my "free" boat has now cost me around 1000 dollars, but well worth it in my opinion and is now ready to sail and possibly race.i got out in the boat 5 times last summer before the dreadful seattle weather shut me down for the winter.am now ready for the spring and summer in the seattle area and am looking for someone in the seattle area to go out and train with.........anyone out there?. i am planning on joining the cyc club in seattle and have been out once on the race boat to help out and check out the races{looks like great fun!}any thoughts on what i should be doing to get ready?besides the obvious of sail,sail, and sail some more?i can be reached at [email protected] if anyone would like to go out and sail with me{ right now mainly on lake washington,but would be willing to go on the sound if i had a partner to go with}thanks in advance to any who would be willing to put up with a complete newbie!!!

Hello and welcome. You can read any of my race reports to find out what NOT to do. I would just get out there and join a race. Its the quickest way to learn and the quickest way to make a fool of yourself! Good luck and good sailing

hey thanks skipper j, i enjoyed your posts you're a funny guy, must be nice to be somewhere thats nice all year long, good luck in your races.the race season here in seattle dosn't start untill april although there are a couple of wekend series starting next weekend on the 12th, i'll be going out on the race boat for both of those to help and watch and see how things are set up. it can be a little confusing at first if you've never even seen a race, only so much you can learn from the books and reading everyones posts.good luck

Welcome to the forum! :) I bet you will grow to love it.... You can share with us your experience in your races.... maybe some are like 'dejavu' to us...

It's fun to share...believe me...

hello mee168, thanks for the reply, i'm looking forward to my first season here in seattle and will be starting it this weekend on the 12th.my first step into the world of racing will be to go out on the committee race boat and help out for the first series of races.cyc here in seattle has a nice big race committee boat and a excellent captain, everyone i met last year was very nice and friendly to boot.i'm looking forward to seeing how the races are actually set up and finally get to see what i've been reading about for the lasr 6 months{semed like winter would never end!}seattle can be a bit dreary in the winter.where are you located at? on a seperate note does anyone know anything about the sand point area on lake washington?..........thanks everyone.......terry

terry-

As I mentioned, sand point is the other good place to sail.

They are fixing up the waterfront, new ramps and all. It's shift if it come out of the south, but out of the north in the spring/summer it is GREAT.

thanks for the info westcoast, i'll take a run down there and check it out, if you're in portland how come you know about local projects in seattle? you from the area? i take it you work for west coast sailing? i'll have to check out your store online.....thanks.........calicosine aka......terry by the way, sand point is the new home for rat city rollergirls, its where they do their skating bouts, you should check out their web site, their bouts are wild, big party!

terry- west coast sailing is me, yes sir.

I try to keep tabs on all the Northwest small sailboat stuff. Help out where I can. I'm the laser fleet captain for the local portland fleet, and we communicate with the Seattle and Bellingham fleets about events and what not.

I spent the last 4 years sailing off and on at SSP during college.

Was there a few weekends ago as a coach during a college clinic. Looks nice, should be done soon, good timing too :)

If you need anything, you let me know. I work hard to earn the business of Laser sailors all over the place.

george-westcoast........i actually am looking for a dolly for my laser and cant seem to find a used one here in seattle, if you have a line on one let me know, also i was checking out your web page and noticed a used 77 laser for sale. is it still available?you can contact me directely at [email protected]. i,m not sure if i,m supposed to be using the forum for these kind of messages....if not sorry ...............terry

no problems Terry. Most of the 'for sale' stuff goes on in those forums, but worries.

Check your inbox, and it's great to see so much excitment from a new laser sailor in Seattle!

calicosine said:
my first step into the world of racing will be to go out on the committee race boat

This is the second time I am typing... the forum went haywire for me just a while ago...

Hi Terry, I have the same thought as you have right now. I went out on a powerboat to watch a major trophy race. Just to see what the world of racing is like. Unfortunately, hard of wind that day and officials called for race abandon for rest of the day after a long wait.
In the end, I decided to take part in a regatta just to have a feel of it. Chaotic for me... messy for me... Got in last five for that 2-day regatta. Quite an experience and many things to learn. Racing is something that you will learn things by hard rather than sailing for leisure. And where you can improve your skills faster.
Anyway, I race for fun.. I tell myself.. I must enjoy racing and not get overheated or tensed by it.
Btw, I am based in Asia.

Hope you have a great time racing!!! Your maiden race! Yippee!!! :p

hello mee168......thanks its nice to hear from someone on the other side of the world from me, where in asia are you at? its warm there right? yeah i'm psyched to get out there and do it after spending the last two months reading every book i could get my hands on, i broke my heel in january skiing at lake tahoe and have been in a cast for 6 weeks, then a soft cast for 3 weeks and yesterday i finally got released by the doctor. i have to spend the next two weeks doing physical therapy to get back into shape but finally i can get out in the boat, yeehaw!!! so i've had a lot of couch time with books and my laptop and needless to say i really want to sail.only so much you can take away from a book even the good ones like dick tillmans complete guide to the laser.my first race wont be untill aprill but it's coming up fast........terry

BURN THE LAND AND BOIL THE SEA BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE THE SKY FROM ME

Hi Terry, I am from Singapore, a small sunny island on its own. Near the equator on the atlas... And yes, we can sail throughout the year.. No season can stop the sailing fans here from getting out into the sea. Our climate:

The climate of Singapore can be divided into two main seasons, the Northeast Monsoon and the Southwest Monsoon season, separated by two relatively short inter-monsoon periods.

North-East Monsoon Season - December to early March
Pre South-West Monsoon - late March to May
South-West Monsoon Season - June to September
Pre North-East Monsoon - October to November

Our most windy condition is during the North-East monsoon which we are having now... It came late this year...

I just took part in a regatta last week in this monsoon.. Very tough for me... But I went through the 6 races for this 2-day regatta. Yeehaw!

:)

wow mee168.....sounds nice there, i just got back from a day on the water and it was 38 degrees out with 8-12 mph winds....cold........brrrr.......had a lot of fun though even though i froze my buns off.....full wet suit,spray top, hat and vest and i was still cold! but it should start to get better here soon. so monsoon, does that mean it was raining during the races? 3 races a day, how long does that take?

sailing in seattle...........terry

:) Monsoon brings rain but it doesn't mean raining every day at every minute. Sometimes, you see rain clouds but they don't shower till later part of the day. Usually, wind will die down after rain.

During last week race, there wasn't any rain at the race area. Just above 10kt wind blowing from Northeast and choppy waves. Our time limit for Lasers for that outer loop trapezoid course is 90 minutes. We also have 420s and Bytes racing with us on that regatta but on different start time. 420s will start followed by Lasers and last was Bytes..

Day 1, we started at 2pm and day 2, we started at 11am.... and we had 3 races each day...

Btw, over here, we don't have chance to wear wet suit.... hehe...

mee168........wow sounds great, whats the water temp there like? here in the puget sound its between47-55 year round even in the summer. the lakes might get up to 65-70.........maybe hahaah.........makes me wish that i lived somewhere warm, but then you see seattle area on a nice spring morning and you forget all that....very nice here for the most part.if you ever get a chance to vist here i highly reccomend it!.........sail on........terry

Your 47-55 is in fathenheit or degree celsius?

Our water here is somehow moderated by nature... Cos during warm sunny day, the water will be cooling and during raining/stormy day, it will be warm... probably the land/sea effect. Cool as in the range of 20-23 deg celsius... warm as in about 30 deg celsius.. that kind... never was ice cold...

I believe Seattle is a nice place to stay in... remember to post your sailing photos to share with us, k! You should have a movie of your own titled 'Sailing in Seattle'... as from the real movie 'Sleeping in Seattle'... :p

my temp is in farenheit, we dont use the celsius here much in the usa, i'll be posting some pics here as soon as i figure out how to do it. so lets see 30c, double that and add 30+90 degrees water temp in F.......? 76-90 degrees F, NICE

Back