Hello, the beginning of my brilliant career

Skipper Johnson

Hello all.

I have just bought a Laser and joined a local club. I thought you might like to follow my progress from novice to Olympic sailor. Cheers!

My first race looms, but first have to help my Dad move houses. The dutiful son, helps with the move, all the time keeping an eye on the clock knowing the big debut race is to
begin at 1:30pm.

Thoughts cross my mind. Perhaps I have some amazing racing skill that has been dormant for years and is about to be exposed. Maybe, I'm so good that I will be in the the Olympics after discovering this incredible skill. Who knows?
Soon I will have answers to my many questions.

I arrive at the race club later than I would have liked and am now rushing around like a chook with its head cut-off. I need to sign in and the master of ceremonies (I'm sure he has a nautical name) explains the course.

You round A C D E bouys, A and C to Port and D and E to Starboard then, A to C and D to E and repeat this three times. I nod, yes understood Captain. At this stage I revert to plan B, I will follow the first boat around the course and fly past him at the finish to claim victory.

Now I have 45 minutes to rig the boat and get to the start line. Better hurry. Now, Im sure Im meant to tie this with a bowline, the mouse goes through the hole, round the tree...or is that a rabbit...and where's the bloody tree! Surely a reef knot will suffice...Yeh, bowline my arse.

Now, all the other boats have left the shore...better go. Launch the boat and get underway. Sailing down to the start line, I hear a baaaarp. What's that?

Oh, the starting gun, boats are heading towards me...OK, revert to plan C. Obviously I will be last to start with, but my incredible latent skill will see me work my way through the field and my win will be even more meritorious.

I cross the start line and hear the woman in the safety boat yell to me "meat the vain...meat the vain" What the hell is she talking about? "What", I yell. "CLEAT THE MAIN"..Oh yes, I was going to cleat the main, but not right now...OK, now, time to cleat the main.Yuh? main wont cleat...what the?...Im sure Ive cleated the main before...Oh well, I'll just
hold it...jeez, my arm is getting tired.

I have my eyes set on the last boat..Im catching and actually over taking them...OK, one down, 19 to go..

I round the first mark, in 19th place...come on boat, you seem a bit sluggish and jeez my arm is sore, why cant I cleat this friggin main. As I approach the second bouy I realise a gybe is required. The olde gybe. I read in my "Laser Racing to win" book this week, that this can lead to a death
roll if not executed correctly. I don't like the sound of a death roll, it seems to involve both rolling and death, not a good combination.

Anyway, here goes...turn the tiller, sheet in the main....and.....yep, death roll...that's not good. Boat in water, me in water...rudder has come out...(ah hah, that's what that little pin was for!)

OK, you need to put rudder in before you get the boat up right...otherwise you will be sailing around in circles and this will not help. Bobbing up and down I finally get the rudder in, get the boat back upright and clamber
aboard. OK, I have slipped back to 20th, all the better for an even more glorious victory.

Around the next bouy..figure out the cleating problem..the rope is meant to go around another ratchet. Freak! Have to undo rope and re do it on the water. It's working now. OK, time to really make my move.

My mind now wanders to the next issue...How come, the boat seems low in the water? That looks strange. When things look strange in a yacht, it is not usually a good sign. It then dawns on me. Plug, did you put the plug in? You know, the one that stops the boat filling with water and sinking. That plug
that every manual says..point 1...DO NOT FORGET THE PLUG...Let me just look...Nope. No plug. I am plugless. No plug at all. Zero.

I now go to Plan D. Get the boat friggin to land, before the friggin boat sinks to the bottom of the friggin lake and your wife doesnt ever friggin talk to you again and all the friggin yacht club members remember you as that friggin dope who on their first race sank their friggin boat.

Finally, get boat to land. Next issue. Water is heavy. Water is in boat. Boat is now heavy. Too heavy to get on trailer. Spectator..."do you need a hand..."

"Geez, I didn't know Laser's were so heavy!" says spectator...Yeh...Um...No, I mumble in reply.

Finally get boat on trailer and water begins to pour out of the plug hole.

Race result: DNF.. Did Not Finish.

The only way is up! Stand by for RACE 2 in my road to glory!

Welcome to the forum, Skipper Johnson! Your race sounds like my race, including the "self-confidence."

Merrily

'Around the next bouy..figure out the cleating problem..the rope is meant to go around another ratchet. Freak!'

hehe, keep 'em coming Skipper, that was a fun report. Best of luck to you on your path to Laser Glory!

"Me thinks Skipper Johnson lives with the Easter Bunny in Texas"

Nope!! I can't seem to get away with making up a new alias. The darned Forum welcomes me by name from any computer in the America's Favorite Boatshop network.

Great story, Mr Skip! Now I don't feel so embarrassed by my first adult racing excursion! I borrowed a very leaky boat and went in backwards at least once, but I was the one grinning at the end, and I didn't come in last!

I think with phrases like "chook with its head cut off", "bowline my arse" and "friggin", this would have to be an Aussie. You can't blame the Texan rabbit for this one.

I can see Skipper what your whole problem is though. Its "Buoy" not "Bouy". Get that right and everything will fall in to place in race 2. But whatever you do, don't call it a "booi", like our US friends.

Another aussie.

abenn said:
I think with phrases like "chook with its head cut off", "bowline my arse" and "friggin", this would have to be an Aussie. You can't blame the Texan rabbit for this one.

I can see Skipper what your whole problem is though. Its "Buoy" not "Bouy". Get that right and everything will fall in to place in race 2. But whatever you do, don't call it a "booi", like our US friends.

Another aussie.

I think your on the money, he spells "gybe" correctly though.

I love it when someone writes a post we can all relate too. Best post in ages, I'd say "Skipper Johnson" get's the innagrual...

"TLF BEST FIRST POST AWARD"

SkipperJohnson please keep the stories coming. No matter who you are; that is good stuff!

Really inspiring stuff!!! As I STILL have not found a good local laser to buy, I always love hearing about the exploits of 'first-timers'....whether to learn what NOT to do, or to clue-in to some small tid-bit of information that would be of some help..

That was a fun and enjoyable post. We would all love to hear the continuing exploits of SKIPPER JOHNSON

Ray, you know pretty soon we're going to start telling you, "JUST WRITE THE CHECK, Ray!" You're good for it, we trust you. You don't wanna be like me, putting it off forever until you're a Master!

Be like Skip! - Jump in!

MG

abenn said:

Another aussie.

Spot on, Cobber!

Great first post! :) Nice to meet another aussie here too.

I had absolutely no idea that laser sailors cleat their mainsheet. Is that true? Does everyone do that? I don't think I've ever cleated a mainsheet in my entire life. I'm curious as to how that works if you capsize suddenly. My parents took my laser 2 out on the weekend, cleated the main (grrrrr - remind me to take those damn cleats off!) and capsized. Because the main was cleated the boat turtled. Luckily for them they couldn't get it back up again because otherwise it would have just sailed away what with the main being cleated off.

In the beginning i did but now the only times i do it is when im tired after a day of racing and im coming in or im on a downwind leg and i need to situate things a little.
Sam

Congratulations, Skizza, for getting this post published in the Laser Sailor! You out yourself though. Skipper Johnson, indeed! :rolleyes:

Back