Hello, new here with a new Sunfish.

LindaP

We just purchased a 1986 Sunfish yesterday. Originally we thought we would start out on a Hobie 16, but then decided that since we are new to sailing the Sunfish seemed to be the best candidate for us to learn on. Used Sunfish sailboats are difficult to come by, and when this one appeared for sale in our classifieds, I immediately contacted the seller, and we are now the proud owners of this great '86 Sunfish sailboat. I think we got a good deal for $700. It came with two sets of sails; however, one of the sets needs to be repaired.

I am concerned about the trailer though and need some instruction on how we can customize this trailer so we can haul our Sunfish safely. We really don't know what we're doing and I want to make sure we are not going to cause any damage to our boat by not having in properly placed and supported on this trailer. I'll include some photos, and maybe you all can help us out with this.

sunfish1.jpg

sunfish2.jpg

sunfish3.jpg

sunfish4.jpg

sunfish5.jpg

Here are some photos of how the boat was sitting on the trailer when we took it home. Everything seems to be wrong, and I hope we didn't damage our Sunfish trailering it this way for around 50 miles. We have since moved the front and rear rubber rollers so the keel rests on them, but is it okay to support the hull in this way? We also have the bow positioned in front of the rubber support instead of just resting on top of it. Also, what is the best way for tying down the boat? How much tension and where do you properly place the tie downs?

sunfishtrailer1.jpg

sunfishtrailer2.jpg

sunfishtrailer3.jpg

sunfishtrailer4.jpg

This is the damaged sail. How do I repair this tear, or is this sail a goner?

sunfishsail1.jpg

URL%5D
sunfishsail2.jpg

New here with a new Sunfish.

This is my second attempt at trying to post our exciting news, so hopefully this one will turn out. We are so thrilled about becoming new Sunfish owners. We purchased our Sunfish on Saturday, and I think we got a good deal at $700.

I'm glad I found this forum. I have been reading with interest about customizing a trailer for the Sunfish. Attached are some photos of our 1986 SF sailboat. I also included photos of the trailer. Our handy man neighbor took a look at it and wants to make the perpendicular bunk supports for it. We also need to repair the other set of sails or just get a new set. I want to make sure we do everything right for our prized possession, so I totally welcome any advice you have for us.

I also wanted to know how we clean our boat. There is some sand in the cockpit. How do we rinse this out? Can we turn the boat on its side on the lawn and rinse it out with a hose? What kind of detergent do you use?

Re: New here with a new Sunfish.

Don't like the look of the bow snubber block on the trailer. Need's to be reworked to prevent damage. I'd make it job #1.

Pull the drain plug, what you can't get out using the garden hose should come out with a wet sponge.

Another question: The seller gave me a brief lesson on setting this boat up, but I'm not sure I can remember everything he showed me. Is there some kind of pdf guide I can download? I downloaded the pdf Rigging Manual, but it wasn't what I was looking for. The manual was more about setting up a brand new Sunfish out of the box. I'm looking for the steps on how to set up the mast and sails.

Don't like the look of the bow snubber block on the trailer. Need's to be reworked to prevent damage. I'd make it job #1.

Pull the drain plug, what you can't get out using the garden hose should come out with a wet sponge.
Thanks, Webfoot. We have since reworked the bow snubber so that the bow is placed where it is up against the snubber. I think I'd like to replace the snubber all together though because it is quite brittle and worn. Getting this trailer customized is our #1 priority right now. I don't feel good about towing this boat one more inch without it being properly supported.

Another question: The seller gave me a brief lesson on setting this boat up, but I'm not sure I can remember everything he showed me. Is there some kind of pdf guide I can download? I downloaded the pdf Rigging Manual, but it wasn't what I was looking for. The manual was more about setting up a brand new Sunfish out of the box. I'm looking for the steps on how to set up the mast and sails.
The Laser Performance new boat setup manual has everything, but for a boat that's already sailing the pieces you need are in among all the first time info.

See if this guide helps...
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=30417

Best thing you can do to the trailer is work in a shock absorber retrofit kit. They make them so that one end of the shock absorber bolts to a hole drilled into the frame and the other bolts to the shackle plate that has a tab for a bolt or the end of the shock absorber rod to go through. It makes a huge difference on tire life, trailer sway and how much the trailer bounces. Each trailer is different so it takes a bit of through as to how to work it in. Also get the tires balanced.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm

Looks like it's in great condition for the price you paid, especially considering you got two sails. To answer your question about the sail being a goner, it definitely isn't. Sail tape is a very durable way you could repair it.

Back