Hello, info on stepping Laser 2 mast

L84dinr

My name is Raymond. My son (Kevin age 7) and me have been sailing my Prindle 18. It is a fun sailboat, but difficult to learn on; and a Kitch bitty to set up and break down. I sailed a Laser back around 1975. I have decided to try to purchase a Laser II. Bigger cockpit for the two of us. Anyway, Is the mast on a Laser 2 hard to step? On the Prindle's trailer there is a winch handle attached at the front of the trailer with extended rigging pole, i walk the mast as Kevin winds the handle. The shrouds are left intact while trailering.
Are, or can there be, any difficulties to setting up and breaking down a Laser 2. We aren't on a lake and have to trailer to the lakes around our area.

Also is there an inexpensive way to ship sailboats? We live in the Fort Worth area of Texas.

I have been reading the forum pages trying to get my bearings re: Lasers and will continue to soak up the knowledge.

Thanks,
Raymond

Stepping the mast is no big deal. Have another adult help you the first time then you will be able to do it solo. You just need to get a feel for it first before doing it solo. As I recall (10 years ago) that the Prindle mast is much heavier and longer.

Glenn

I use to have a Laser II, stepping the mast is no difficult, place the mast with the top part in the back part of the boat, attach the side (shroud) lines of the mast to the boat, place a small rope at the front line of the mast (forestay) and this line attached to the front part of the boat . Go inside the cockpit put the mast on it base and rise it to the front, when rised grab the forestay and tied it with the rope to the front part. Then raise the jib when you tied the jib, the forestay will lose and then you would be able to attach to the boat with no need for the rope any more. When tied pull the forestay and tide a little bit more your jib. I hope this help, the rope part is the most important.

Back