Hello I'm new w questions

exellent!! how can you go wrong with that deal?should be perfect for lake tahoe. or even paramid lake.2 sets of sails, the hull looks great.Do it!! you know you want to!!

There are things that can be easily checked when you see the boat in person,try googling how to buy a used laser and you will get some good tips.I would think that a boat that may have been used in the Olympics, would have been sailed hard,which is quite different from a day sailor,so be aware.

I mean starting off in a laser is a big step for a first time sailor........Having sailed on tahoe, it can get quite windy. Your best bet is to spend some money and go down to a local club or sailing center and get some formal sailing lessons, and slowly work your way up to a laser. Yes the boat you are looking at is a great deal. But a laser is a very powerful boat and when not sailed properly it can be potentially dengerous.

You can take the top batten out and take a few turns about the mast to reef the sail. i did this one of the first times out when I saw a big boat out on the late heeled over hard under jib alone. I was surprised at how well the boat handled reefed and not as tender as I expected though still had to hike hard in gusts.

However, as cmansonh suggested it might be good to get a little experience in different boats and make sure the Laser feels right. I tried a Butterfly, thinking it might be more realistic for me, but i did not like it. The Laser on the other hand i love.

...I taught myself to sail single handing an old Tasar ...hence the free advice since I didn't use it myself. But my Dad had scows growing up and press ganged us for crew, so had some idea of the game.

I started on the laser, you never outgrow a laser

I would suggest learning the basics, point of sail, rigging ect, then starting out in light - medium air under 10kts about, check out my rigging page http://www.laserxd.com/how-to-rig-a-laser-sailboat.php

don't go too far from shore until you gain some experience, a few weeks or so you'll be ready to start going out a little further, get a buddy to sail with on another boat or just take turns sailing your laser, if you go out far by yourself always make sure that you have someone on shore or on a boat that can assist you in case the wind dies or you have a problem. Things can break and you don't want to be stuck out in the middle,

the main thing to be concerned with when starting out is accidental gybes and being able to right the boat because you will capsize eventually, its best to learn to capsize close to shore in case you need help

as for the boat you listed, as long as it checks out with the basic tests, mast step, visual inspection it should be fine, a friend of mine got basically that same boat and its fast and it looks good

Back